[FT] Kilmarnock 1 - 2 Rangers (Arfield 16; Goldson 90+1)

The great thing about playing in Europe is that the games come thick and fast. I have just unpacked my bag after returning from Luxenbourg and already League Match day One is upon us. The serious stuff starts today. Not that Europe isn't serious stuff but the league competition is our bread and butter. Europe is a nice juicy apple to bite into but our “Repas Principal” is the league competition.

We were all a little bit disappointed with our 0-0 draw against Progrès Niederkorn and really it should have been an easy win given the chances we had. I try and look on the positive side of the performance and for me that was that Niederkorn never looked like they could clench a fist against us. All they did was circle the wagons and try to keep the score at 0-0. It would have been worse if we hadn't created any chances but the fact is we created 4 or five guilt edged chances. To win games we have to learn to take those chances but hopefully once we have a fixed team the goals will come,

Today we nick doon the road to Kilmarnock where we have a score to settle from last season. Although we beat them early doors 3-1 in the league cup last season they managed two wins against us at Rugby park in the league. Steve Clark had them playing in a close defensive, well orginised unit who could break at speed and make the best of the chances they got. That style served them well with them taking the third spot on 67 points together with Aberdeen but with six more goals than Aberdeen.

Since then they have lost some key players and also Steve Clark their manager who left to fill the Scottish managers job. Or should I say the Celtic select team. They have brought in Angelo Allessio to replace Clark and he has tried to get them playing a different style of football with pretty poor results up to now with them crashing out of Europe by Connah's Quay. After winning the first leg 2-1 away from home they crashed to a 2-0 defeat in their own midden. It will be interesting to see what tactics Allessio will have them playing . Probably back to parking the bus and hoping on a break-away.

The Rangers team is hard to predict at the moment as there are so many options open to Stevie Gerrard.

I think he will keep Alan McGregor in goals but McGregor has been pretty shaky of late. I have no idea what he was doing on Thursday when he half punched a ball that looked very catchable to me. That threw up Niederkorn's best chance and we are lucky the Niederkorn No. 7 didn't fancy a shot with his right foot and ballooned it over the bar with his left from about eight yards out.

Maybe bringing Wes in for a few games will waken McGregor up.

Tavernier is a no-brainer for the right-back position. He wasn't great on Thursday but remains one of the best attacking full-back's in Britain.

It is well known that I am not a Goldson fan but I don't know Edmundson good enough to know how he will stand up to the Scottish league so I will stay with the evil I know and keep Goldson in beside Katic who is in my opinion the best defender we have at the moment. People say he can't play a ball forward but in the games I watch he plays some excellent forward passes. He is a no-brainer for me.

As the team will be announced shortly I will just give my team for today.

Foderingham

Tavernier Goldson Katic Baracic(if fit)

Davis Kamara

Docherty Arfield Aribo

Morelos.

Come on the Gers!!! Revenge is hopefully sweet.

• Frankie changed the title to Kilmarnock v Rangers match debate

Id prefer Gerrard went 4-2-3-1 than 4-3-2-1

Helander still not match fit so Goldson and Katic at CB for me. I think I read someone else about Arfield earlier and I agreed, Im not sure about him at the moment but Ive not seen enough of the other options to change. 

This for me:

McGregor

Tavernier Goldson Katic Barisic

Kamara Jack

Ojo Arfield Aribo

Morelos

Despite the roadworks and the predicted stormy weather, really looking forward to the first of 38 instalments in the story of our journey towards “55”. Of course it may end up a damp squib which sees our rivals claim a 51st title instead, but if we can get a win today against a team we couldn’t beat in the league last season, we are already ahead of last season where we played well but poor refereeing cost us 2 points with a disgraceful red card which was rescinded after the points were lost.

I expect Goldson & Katic to play with Tav & Barasic as full backs, with McGregor shouting at them from the goalmouth.

In midfield and most will expect us to stay with the 4321 shape, however I don’t see Davis being risked on that pitch with Denmark in mind, so it could be Jack, Aribo and Kamara in the deeper line, with Arfield and Ojo trying to link up with Morelos.

Other possible starters could be Docherty for Kamara, Jones at his former ground may get the nod ahead of Ojo, and it is possible that Defoe may start ahead of Morelos but I doubt it. Halliday could play at left back if Barasic isn’t to be backed on the awful surface. 

Kilmarnock have not had a great start under the new manager with Euro humiliation and some uninspiring friendly results and performances, so this game should come at a good time for us and I hope we push on to get a convincing victory.

23 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'd go:

McGregor

Tav Goldson Katic Barisic

Kamara

Arfield Aribo Jones

Morelos

Defoe

Isn't McGregor banned for this one?

Edit: Seems so.

It's so difficult to pick the team at the moment.  It's rare that there are so few guaranteed picks.   Tav for sure and Fod, but who else?

Edited by Briton