[FT] Kilmarnock 1 - 2 Rangers (Arfield 16; Goldson 90+1)

2 hours ago, Gaffer said:

Barisic is suffering because we'd don't have an option on that left hand side.  I fear we need a replacement for Kent and for the moment, Jones hasn't adapted enough to our system.  Barisic rarely has someone taking the defender away so he ends up having to pass it sideways or back.  We just don't have the balance in the team.  I've been talking about this for 5 games now and if I can see it, I'm hoping the management team can see it.  I really hope we can bring in someone to fill that role, but it then means that Ojo, Arfield and Docherty are all trying to grab that right hand spot.  For me, this is the root cause of our problem.  We end up then trying to push everything through the right hand side and I suspect this is why Tav ends up pushing further and further forward.  Our shape was almost completely gone by the 50th minute.

You'll notice that even in by 40th minute our midfield play completely broke down because Jack moved to right back.  Aribo then had to come back to help Davis build the play.  That meant they then had 5 defending players to cover Arfield, Ojo and Morelos which made it too easy for them to win it and immediately break on us.  And with Jack wide, and Tav still in their final third, we had Davis and Aribo to contend with their two attacking midfielders and Brophy.  That's why Davis and Aribo both looked shattered because they were chasing too much in outnumbered areas of the park.

Thankfully the management will have spotted this and are working on a plan.  The may be perservering with Arfield and Ojo to see if they can click better and support the left hand side more effectively.  Or they may be trying to bring in someone for that side.  One other option is to play with Defoe because he tends to prefer the left hand side as it allows him to cut inside and get a shot away.  I think that's why our team looks much better balanced with Defoe rather than Morelos, despite Morelos being our best player.  One thing is for sure, we will have problems until we fix this simple, yet problematic issue.  I'm just glad we are have the time to do something about it having secured the three points today.

Excellent post mate and I agree totally. If you have a water leak then it isn't always at the point the water is dripping.

Set-piece prowess can prove crucial for Rangers this season, says manager Steven Gerrard, after his side clinched a dramatic opening win at Kilmarnock.

Scott Arfield and Connor Goldson scored to seal a 2-1 Scottish Premiership win, with both goals coming from corners.

And Gerrard was eager to praise coach Tom Culshaw for his invention.

"Tom works so hard and puts a lot of effort, a lot of small details, into making sure the delivery is right," Gerrard said.

Rangers looked like they would have to settle for a draw after Stephen O'Donnell levelled after 83 minutes, only for Goldson to get his head to a James Tavernier delivery to win it in stoppage-time.

And while Gerrard was happy to see two goals scored from set pieces, he is well aware his side must tighten up at the other end, with O'Donnell's goal having come from a free-kick.

"If we can't win in open play, if we are finding it hard to beat the block because the pitch is not suiting us, or if they are very disciplined and have men behind the ball, set pieces decide matches," he added.

"I'm sure Tom will be talking to people about switching off and giving silly fouls away in the first place, because at 1-0 we need to learn to finish games and see them out better."

Rangers failed to beat Kilmarnock in the league last term - losing twice and drawing twice - and Gerrard was delighted to take all three points from Ayrshire on Sunday.

Most of all, the Englishman was impressed by the resilience of his side in recovering from the late concession.

"We have spoken on numerous occasions about consistency and the mentality, doing what you need to do to get over the line," he said.

"It would've been easy for my players to feel sorry for themselves but fair play, we kept pushing."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49228115

12 hours ago, forlanssister said:

I know for a fact they were fully aware of exactly what they were dancing on just before they landed on me and my friends, how none of us were seriously injured is simply miraculous.

Behaviour such as that has been highlighted to both Kilmarnock stewards and Rangers security for years, they were fully aware of our concerns but did absolutely nothing to address them other than patronise us.

Celtic fans vandalise Killie's Rugby Park

Last updated : 09 May 2007 By Compiled By Killiemad

and the toilets vanadalised as well as damaging the disabled shelter's roof, only now are we starting to see the full extent of the damage to Rugby park by the so called greatest fans in the world, Kilmarnock fc was advised to keep quiet by Celtic fc as they would pay for the damge caused by their fans so that it would not tarnish the false image of their so called fun loving supporters . Killiemad would like to point out this is not the first time the so called greatest fans in the world have destroyed large numbers of seats at Rugby Park, the home of Kilmarnock fc.

when Celtic last won the league at Rugby Park 2003/04 they destroyed 400 seats as recrimination for losing the league at the same venue a year earlier it is obvious Celtic fans cannot and will not behave when they visit Rugby Park on match day, why their has been no comment by the national media about Celtic fans behaviour is dumbfounding we're they sitting in the ground with their eyes shut after the Celtic fans started to depart the ground after their celebrations that they could not see the wanton destruction committed by a large section of visiting supporters ??

http://www.kilmarnock-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/celtic_fans_vandalise_killies_rugby_park_337963/index.shtml

What our fans did yesterday on the roof of the disabled section was pathetic. Absolute fuckin cunts. Killie should charge Ranngers and Rangers should bill the fools for the repair and then get them done with a vandalism. 

Morons. 

Two fans were the main cause,as the third in a Gers to was balancing on the structure(still no excuse) and should be able to be identified,fined in court made to pay for repair and subsequently lifetime ban from Rangers games.

As for our players whether or not it is/was an important goal the club should reprimand them for leaving playing area and,IMO,causing fans to react as they did.I know that the fans would have reacted anyway but should not be encouraged by players.