Assessing Steven Gerrard

Is this a fair thread and question to ask?

Sitting down when Killies goal went in the cameras went to Gerrard and he sat down. I'll put that down to disappointment or inexperience. But Walter Smith would have been on the touchline ranting. Did Gerrard trust his player to get the result?

Tactics - thats over the course of a season and I said Id prefer 4-5-1 like a 4-2-3-1.

Not turning against Gerrard but remember....

Its a fair question??

15 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I'd imagine that yesterday Gerrard will already have went through his players many times regarding our tempo and loss of shape.  He didn't get much of a reaction, if any.  As such, perhaps he felt taking a step back and letting them sort it out themselves was a better tactic and, to be fair, a few players finally stepped up when the going got tough in those last ten mins.

I feel that at such a late stage he's actually doing the right thing by sitting down and taking what little time there was prior to play resuming to think is there any way I can tweak this situation to salvage it with such little time left. Or do I continue as we are still trusting they're capable of pull something out right to the end.

These decisions can't be efficiently reasoned if standing on a touchline ranting.

As a player he knows full well that there's nothing a manager can shout or gesticulate about to make a difference from the side of the pitch, especially so late on.  At that stage it's all up to the players.  He will have been happy with the reaction he got, but equally as Frankie said he'd be eager to get them back in to the changing room and training ground to express how he really felt.  He was right to praise them in public but I bet their ears are ringing at training today, and quite rightly so.

I have a worry in the back of my head with Gerrard. We seem to blow hot and cold. We're good at home but so unpredictable away from home. He seems to have 2 sets of tactics and doesn't know what his best XI is. 

There's just a doubt in my head with him. It's a small doubt but a doubt none the less. 

Well he has only been here a short time, we have improved with more to come. Still hard to believe we have SG as Rangers manager, he is driven and I'm sure we will keep improving. I never pay attention to a managers reactions during the game, don't want him ranting and raving, kicking things and snarling it has zero affect on players/results, ripping the players a new arsehole in the changing rooms is where it should be done.