Assessing Steven Gerrard

21 minutes ago, Gazza_8 said:

I have a worry in the back of my head with Gerrard. We seem to blow hot and cold. We're good at home but so unpredictable away from home. He seems to have 2 sets of tactics and doesn't know what his best XI is. 

There's just a doubt in my head with him. It's a small doubt but a doubt none the less. 

I always wondered who would be first to start the customary self-flagellation. What i didn't expect was to see Gerrard being undermined after one game of a 38 game campaign. Why don't you assess the winners at the finishing line and not when the starting gun has just been fired?

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

I always wondered who would be first to start the customary self-flagellation. What i didn't expect was to see Gerrard being undermined after one game of a 38 game campaign. Why don't you assess the winners at the finishing line and not when the starting gun has just been fired?

I assess managers and players throughout the season. My opinion isn't just after 1 league game and 4 qualifiers this season. 

1 minute ago, Gazza_8 said:

I assess managers and players throughout the season. My opinion isn't just after 1 league game and 4 qualifiers this season. 

Bully for you However, you're not just assessing are you? You're casting doubts on the suitability of our manager, which is a ridiculous thing to do at this stage.

35 minutes ago, Gazza_8 said:

I have a worry in the back of my head with Gerrard. We seem to blow hot and cold. We're good at home but so unpredictable away from home. He seems to have 2 sets of tactics and doesn't know what his best XI is. 

There's just a doubt in my head with him. It's a small doubt but a doubt none the less. 

I think in fairness to Gerrard, and he has spoken about this in press conferences so far, he is looking at the whole squad and the workload that is required potentially between now and whole season - particularly if we manage to get to the Europa League group stages.   And therefore during pre-season, its been a balancing act between giving each player sufficient game time to make sure they are ready as and when called upon. 

We would all like to start with a seven goal scudding of some jobbers from Perth, and there is no doubt there is still a lot to be worked on, but we managed to grind out a result in a fashion we rarely managed last season at crucial times.

That doesn't mean there are not concerns.  I too felt we should have changed things earlier.  Jones came on and caused problems - and was also more effective defensively.   Ojo's final ball and decision making was poor - something we saw on Thursday too, and we are creating lots of chances but not taking enough of them.   Lots for the manager to think on, but even at this early stage of the season I can see things that have improved from last year.  

Leadership is a lonely place.

Reactions to conceding or scoring goals may or may not be an indicator of leadership qualities. Further, we should be careful reference demanding our Gaffer being seen to display accepted forms of leadership.

I prefer a leader as opposed to someone toting an Equity Card.

Said it last season, said it yesterday. At times it is, IMHO, necessary to change players and tactics more quickly. We lost any grip to the game about 5 mins after HT, yet nothing happened. A few guys never really got into it thereafter and e.g. Ojo was all over the place (because he was told?) and Tav left alone on his wing. It was there and then that I - and I know what little my humble opinion counts against SG's - would have pulled Barsisc for Halliday, who would sure have added more bite into that side and possibly midfield. Likewise, Ojo would have gone and replaced with Stewart for a more balanced right wing and Jones instead of Arfield / Aribo, not least since the latter was getting us nowhere. Kamara might have been another option, but 

Thing is, all the players that started (bar half a handful) have been playing most games this season and it should not be the case ... as it is more or less Plan A that we try to use in all games and if it goes awry, trying to do it better. We know that script, not just from the MW days, but last season. Which is what bothers me most. We have the players to tackle e.g. Killie in games when they get the upper hand and those on the pitch starting to run on empty. But to me we are too lethargic to change people and tactics.

NB: Given that he was not really contributing, I would have removed Barisic early on, perhaps for Jones, to add more of an attacking threat and directness. 

NB II: It is early days, people need to find their feet, but likewise we should develop from the pattern we saw far too often last season. Right now, the EL is probably the priority ...

3 hours ago, Gribz said:

Is this a fair thread and question to ask?

Sitting down when Killies goal went in the cameras went to Gerrard and he sat down. I'll put that down to disappointment or inexperience. But Walter Smith would have been on the touchline ranting. Did Gerrard trust his player to get the result?

Tactics - thats over the course of a season and I said Id prefer 4-5-1 like a 4-2-3-1.

Not turning against Gerrard but remember....

Its a fair question??

I can't criticise...I turned the game off in a fit of temper.  Nice surprise when I looked at Fotmob an hour later after burying myself in a video game trying to forget.  Feel guilty now.

33 minutes ago, Bill said:

Bully for you However, you're not just assessing are you? You're casting doubts on the suitability of our manager, which is a ridiculous thing to do at this stage.

If that's what my analysis results in then yes, I'm casting doubts on our manager. It's not a huge doubt, just a slight one. 

I'm also casting doubts on the suitability of Barisic. 

The one thing that does annoy me a lot with Mr Gerrard is the lack of subs he tends to use. I personally felt yesterday was crying out for a sub maybe even at half time but certainly around the 60 minute mark. We have said a few times already this season 'really strong bench' but that's not going to be a lot of use if we don't use it