[FT] Rangers 6 - 1 Hibernian (Defoe 9, 15, 75; Morelos 78, 89; Ojo 90+2)

Delighted with result & performance today. Could have been more.

Only one wee complaint however - when shooting it isn’t always necessary to aim for the top corner. Try shots along the deck. If on target the keeper needs to save. Some of the top corner attempts were a bit wild at times...

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Defoe is total class. He brings so much to the rest of the team and really chuffed for him to get his reward today. This is a marker for the rest of the league. We aren't messing around. 6 points from two games that we all thought might be tough openers. Can't argue with that. Keep it up Rangers.

Defoe is a top notch multi million pound striker who would have been far out of our range in normal circumstances. His first goal was a perfect example of it. He's just waiting there as the ball comes in to be saved by the goalie and while the defenders are watching it bounce out he's already made the move to put it away with one touch.

Second goal, again hanging in the box before the ball arrives one touch and again it's in the net. He's a goal machine.

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Some might say it merely reduced them to 11. Beaton unsurprisingly wasn't doing us any favours. I don't consider 2 obvious yellow cards to be doing us a favour.

Beaton was okay we have had worse.

13 minutes ago, pete said:

Beaton was okay we have had worse.

I would agree with that but a couple of dubious bookings relatively early raised a little concern for me and i'm not implying Beaton was doing anything suspect. I don't go for any of the refereeing conspiracy or even persistent bias against one team or another. They're just idiots and at worst perhaps on some level are possibly playing to an audience.

Somebody who couldn't make it to be a famous professional footballer and from time to time maybe especially so in high profile games feel an irresistible urge to milk a moment of fame/infamy.

But anyway. Following the booking of Ojo on 12 minutes then even more so Katic just 5 minutes later I had real concerns which is what I meant by he didn't do us any favours. And I say even more so regarding Katic since he's a tough nut and a defender who we might expect to get involved in some rough and tumble both at the back and front during corners etc.

After that booking there was a spell lasting way into the second half I just couldn't get it out of my mind that we had 2 players on a yellow early and the worst would happen again. We would be the ones to get a red card as has happened so many times before in key games just last season alone.

Though I could clearly see we were massively superior to them in every way I was on edge from the 17th minute booking of Katic till the 77th minute when Morelos made it 4-1. At 4-1 I knew it was over even if we did get a red card. In fact even if it had happened at that stage I would still have been expecting them to score more goals. That superior.

Having had a look around some opposition forums like hibs and the yahoos the hibs view and the yahoo one for that matter are contradictory. The hibs view is that Beaton screwed them over, as usual, and favoured Rangers big time. As he always does of course.

spacer.png

On top of Beaton screwing them over Heckingbottom is useless and all he had to do was 'have a go' which is apparently exactly what Heckingbottom did even according to Steven Gerrard who commended him for it but their fans didn't notice the 'having a go'

Don't you just love that 'have a go' strategy? That's the sheep cry about McInnes too.  Barcelona? So what just need to have a go to horse them.

But presumably if their team spends a lot of time pinned back while 14 corners are conceded and 34 shots rain in on their goal I suppose they actually might not notice that they are having a go if they can but for much of the time it just wasn't possible.

They concede Rangers are better than last season but then contradict themselves by stating but they're still shite and they should still be beating them at Ibrox. A team that finished last season 24 points ahead of them with a GD of +55 to their +12.

And the multi million pound upgrade to the team? Gerrard is a donkey, he buys donkeys. Having a go is the answer. Wish we had known that before we spent those multi millions. 

Though we were superb for long periods yesterday and really should have scored more than we did.

Only negative was losing a goal out of nothing and allowing that to unsettle us either side of half-time.  However, we got going again and with the red card helping went on to deservedly hammer the Hibees.

Lots of good individual performances throughout the team.  Goldson was again excellent and his range of passing very good whilst Jack was arguably man of the match in midfield with Davis and Aribo falling out of the game at times.  In attack Defoe was first class but (rather ironically) wasteful at key moments whilst Jones and Ojo both contributed well throughout their game-time.  Morelos and Stewart also looked sharp when they came on.

Ultimately, the best positive for me was that it was another fine team performance and some of the football really is great to watch.  What I enjoyed most yesterday is that we got our shots away a bit earlier for much of the game and stopped trying to find the perfect goal.

11 hours ago, Doc said:

Defoe is total class. He brings so much to the rest of the team and really chuffed for him to get his reward today. This is a marker for the rest of the league. We aren't messing around. 6 points from two games that we all thought might be tough openers. Can't argue with that. Keep it up Rangers.

Couldn't agree more. I still think Defoe is one of our most underrated players. He is an oustanding footballer. His first touch, passing and vision are fantastic for a striker. I was delighted to see that he did rotate in because I think those two should be kept fresh as much as possible because as we saw yesterday they are both lethal when they are.