[FT] Rangers 6 - 1 Hibernian (Defoe 9, 15, 75; Morelos 78, 89; Ojo 90+2)

25 minutes ago, pete said:

I think Morelos will start but Defoe will come on at 60mins

Yes I think if he does start he'll at least get a rest and Defoe's legs given a good stretch, it'll be a very interesting call by the gaffer

26 minutes ago, pete said:

Kamara really has to watch where he is trying his fancy tricks as he had a few bad moments against the Danes

Did he? I only saw sections of the game so I didn't see that, he looked very good throughout the spells I saw. He seemed to suit that game because he had the strength to hold of some of their big players.

I think Davis will start more so because Kamara is likely to be out.  I would keep Morelos up front and see how Hibs defenders can handle him (note;McGregor was an unused sub when they played St.Mirren).  As Hibs lack pace I would be tempted to keep Jones in the side. As Fianagan has only come back after surgery it might be that a second match in three days is a bit too much for him.  If so, I would expect Barisic to play.  Arfield still seems a bit below his normal standard and looked very tired at the end of the game so possibly he might be replaced.  I hope he retains Goldson and Katic but would not be surprised if there is some rotation at the centre half position. 

Another thought on Defoe vs Morelos for this game. I think Defoe suits a home game against a deep lying defence pretty well because of his passing and link-up play. He has the quality touch and close control to take the ball in a very tight space and then the vision to spot a run and play a very clever through ball. There are lots of examples but the back heel for the disallowed goal against Progres is a great example of him creating a goal out of nowhere against a deep defence with his techincal quality. 

Good preview, easy to read format as well, enjoyed that.

As for the team, I agree with all of the comments in this thread so far, so we need to start with 15 players!

Seriously, I think Flanagan will be rested as that was a big 90 minutes for someone just back and Barasic will come back in, Davis will return to midfield in place of the injured Kamara, and I think maybe Ojo will come back in perhaps for Arfield who seemed to be not quite at the pace last night given he was still a couple of weeks behind the rest of the players. I cant see Morelos not starting after that magnificent performance last night, but I would not be the slightest concerned if Defoe gets the nod for Sunday. If Morelos plays from the start on Sunday, Defoe will probably start on Thursday. Jones performance last night got singled out by SG, so looks like he will keep his place, but he wont find it as easy against a stuffy Hibs side who wont allow him the space and will probably double up on the outsides as well, so hopefully he can continue his development by learning how to play against those types, not just his speciality of counter-attacking.

After such a great result and performance, it is good the next game is only a few days away, and I am sure I am like most Bears in wishing it was today and not Sunday we were playing!

Bring it on!

12 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

I would keep Morelos up front and see how Hibs defenders can handle him (note;McGregor was an unused sub when they played St.Mirren)

Well spotted! I thought I had done my homework but missed this. It seems they are going with Hanlon and Jackson (new signing). I think they are making a mistake if he doesn't play against us because he is very hard to beat in the air and his physicality is always an asset against us.

5 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Jones performance last night got singled out by SG, so looks like he will keep his place

With the way Ejaria and Kent barely missed a game last season I think Gerrard will be very reluctant to drop Ojo but it will be very interesting.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Is Barker up to speed? Could he be involved?

Surely not, even if he was fit they would allow him to settle in and just be around the squad for the first game. 

Great game preview DMAA! 

I don’t think we’ve seen the strongest starting 11 yet and perhaps there won’t need to be one, which is a good thing. 

From that hat perspective you’re prediction could be spot on. However, I’m convinced the EL 3rd round is done and dusted and so could see the home leg as an opportunity to rest some players like Morelos, Arfield, Jones, Goodson, Katic, Tav even.

The Hibs game on the other hand is a must win against a difficult side, so for me I’d be starting with, as close to, the 11 that started on Thursday, with Davies in for Kamara who’s a doubt.