VAR   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of VAR?

• Yes
    • No

I might feel differently if the current circumstances were not as they are. Those circumstanced being them going for a 9iar. Even at this early stage it's shaping up to be a close run thing that could by the end even come down to just a point or 2.

A point or 2 VAR could give us. Or without it lose us. Leicester just saved a point with such a VAR decision. For us a decision like that could be a title winner far less a match winner.

Its going to ruin games and I can see it being scrapped eventually. Should just be kept for goal line decisions. The West Ham v Man City game was a joke, Andy Gray torn it apart straight after the game and showed how one goal should have stood and another ruled out.

Total supporter of VAR but it needs to find it's way in the sport. It needs tweaked. It will not sort every decision as some are interpretation of the laws but it will give mostly the correct decision. I think it should go on the big screens as in rugby to add to the supporters experience.

VAR sounds good in theory. It should identify offsides, penalties and red cards that the referee has missed. It should also stop diving in the box, as any penalty award is subject to VAR and the dive will be spotted.  However, the problem at the moment is that it can take ages for a VAR decision to be made. This completely changes the nature of the game. While fans will be informed via screens what is being considered, the hold up of play and the uncertainty is an unwelcomed departure from what we had.

As VAR seems to be here to stay, I would like to see a maximum period during which the incident is being considered. It’s my view that if it is so doubtful that it takes minutes to view the incident and come to a decision, it’s not cut and dry that the ref’s decision was wrong.  If the decision was wrong it should be obvious, so if a decision cannot be made in 10-15 seconds then the ref’s decision stands.

12 hours ago, pete said:

I think it should go on the big screens as in rugby to add to the supporters experience.

As I have posted before screens at Ibrox would have to be re-positioned to allow ALL fans to benefit if this system were to be introduced.

19 hours ago, pete said:

I think it should go on the big screens as in rugby to add to the supporters experience.

So if we get it in Scotland, Ross County, Motherwell and Hamilton will need to erect big screen, in order to meet requirements?

Personally, I view big screens alongside post-goal music ...Americanisation of our sport.

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

So if we get it in Scotland, Ross County, Motherwell and Hamilton will need to erect big screen, in order to meet requirements?

Personally, I view big screens alongside post-goal music ...Americanisation of our sport.

Obviously big screens would be an option for teams who can afford them or already have them. I was really talking about VAR in general and not just Scotland.

Anyway, VAR, simple. As in tennis, each manager/captain should be able to call up to 3 reviews in each half for anything - throw ins, fouls etc as they can all lead to a goal. Max 1 minute to make a decision, add the time to injury time & restart with a bounce up if decision was right. It is the arbitrary nature of the existing system which is the problem, plus the time issue. Sorted!