VAR   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of VAR?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

What is it that people think is "worse" about football with VAR?

How long have you got! Basically everything that Gonzo said. I have stopped watching English football and a big part of that is because of VAR

I don't have a problem with it as such. However the way the rules have changed are the main issue.

A player being offside but the linesman not signalling unless it's a goal.

The new interpretation of the handball rule.

The inconsistency of handballs where any sort of touch of hand rules out a goal.

If VAR helps improve identifying whether a player is offside or not then I'm all for it.

21 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I don't have a problem with it as such. However the way the rules have changed are the main issue.

A player being offside but the linesman not signalling unless it's a goal.

The new interpretation of the handball rule.

The inconsistency of handballs where any sort of touch of hand rules out a goal.

If VAR helps improve identifying whether a player is offside or not then I'm all for it.

Yes but its these silly shoulder or finger/hand offsides that really get the fans goat, fair enough if its a leg, but if its a part of their anatomy that you cannot score from then it should not be pulled back or disallowed. 

I can understand the time issue -- even if I do not think it's as long as people say (last week's Villa goal was the longest I've seen and I timed it at two and a half minutes, which is not excessive for a really tight call like that). It's a small price to pay for the correct decision.

Too many conflate VAR with the rules. VAR has just highlighted the issues with the rules.

And, there's still human error, going back to that Villa goal, where they were so concerned with the offside that they missed the foul in the build-up! 

The handball rule is stupid. 

The offsides need work, with regards to which part of the body is used as a line.

(I wonder if they could put something in the players shirts that the technology could track, thus giving a repeatable, consistent and instant decision?)

These things are not VAR; they're the rules. It's just that now we have a way of getting to the correct result. 

I don't understand why you'd want incorrect decisions over correct ones at the cost of a few seconds wait. Again, if we had VAR in last season's LC final, we may well have won it. I just can't accept the 'they won it with an illegal goal, but hey, it was a great fast-paced game'. I'm a Rangers fan; I want the right decisions. 

I've said this before, but I would like to see teams get appeals, like Cricket and Tennis. 

Say, 3, 4 or 5 appeals during a match. If you think you should have had a penalty, you appeal; win, you get the decision overturned, or lose and you lose an appeal. 

30 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Yes but its these silly shoulder or finger/hand offsides that really get the fans goat, fair enough if its a leg, but if its a part of their anatomy that you cannot score from then it should not be pulled back or disallowed. 

That's an issue with the rules and not VAR itself.

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I've said this before, but I would like to see teams get appeals, like Cricket and Tennis. 

Say, 3, 4 or 5 appeals during a match. If you think you should have had a penalty, you appeal; win, you get the decision overturned, or lose and you lose an appeal. 

It's all stop/start. The appeal of football over rugby is that the game should just flow. If we get bogged down with appeals, var decisions, 5 subs etc etc its going to be ruined. I'd rather a couple of wrong decisions over the season than disrupting the whole game. 

7 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

It's all stop/start. The appeal of football over rugby is that the game should just flow. If we get bogged down with appeals, var decisions, 5 subs etc etc its going to be ruined. I'd rather a couple of wrong decisions over the season than disrupting the whole game. 

It's not just a couple of wrong decisions over the course of a season, though, it was a couple of times every game! (Slight exaggeration...)

But, to be honest, I just don't agree with that viewpoint: I want the correct decisions, even if it means a few stoppages. We stop every two seconds for fouls, anyway... :D