• Jon Flanagan
    • Ryan Jack
    • Steven Davis
    • Joe Aribo
    • Sheyi Ojo
    • Jordan Jones
    • Jermain Defoe

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/19 at 06:58

There wasn't really a failure yesterday but for overall influence on the game and rest of the team I go for Ryan Jack. It's no surprise that he's now one of the manager's permanent pillars that the rest of the team is founded on. Defending, critical tackles, ball winning, distribution, attempts on goal, work rate ... it was all there against Hibs. He seems to get better by the week.

55 minutes ago, Bill said:

There wasn't really a failure yesterday but for overall influence on the game and rest of the team I go for Ryan Jack. It's no surprise that he's now one of the manager's permanent pillars that the rest of the team is founded on. Defending, critical tackles, ball winning, distribution, attempts on goal, work rate ... it was all there against Hibs. He seems to get better by the week.

I noticed in he pre-season training videos that alongside Docherty he is the fittest player in the team by a distance too. That is a huge advantage when playing centre mid. 

Went For Defoe, its all about goals.

I think this new improved Ryan Jack is looking better with each game, but I thought Davis was the standout midfielder yesterday. The instant control, run and cross for Defoe's 3rd was absolutely stunning.

Jones did well and had his man in his pocket in the first half.

I was moaning during the game about Ojo being completely anonymous for large parts of the game, but when you look at the final numbers he has 1 goal and 2 assists yesterday so how can you complain? What could he be like if he didnt go missing for 20 mins each half!

Loved the way Morelos has come on, after Defoe has hit a hat-trick with all 3 goals laid on a plate for him, and said "hold ma coat" and within 2 mins he has destroyed their defence single-handedly after picking up a nothing ball at the half-way line and scored. As if to say "i'm still here you know and you aint getting my starting slot every week!" Great attitude!

The only negative I can find  - Flanagan was the undoubted (and yesterday the only) weak link, a total bombscare defensively and offers very little going forward. SG loves him somehow, but I dont see it and I predict he is going to cost us (again) just like he did last season, both in Europe and at home, if he continues to have the starting slot. 

3 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

The only negative I can find  - Flanagan was the undoubted (and yesterday the only) weak link, a total bombscare defensively and offers very little going forward. SG loves him somehow, but I dont see it and I predict he is going to cost us (again) just like he did last season, both in Europe and at home, if he continues to have the starting slot. 

I was a bit disappointed that we didn't go with Edmundson and Halliday to be honest (if Barisic is out of the picture). Home games where we are in possession and trying to build attacks don't suit Flanagan or Katic, they are both very basic and jittery on the ball. All they do is nervous sideways and backwards passes. It slows things down so much on the left. I have found Edmundson's abence from the team very confusing. And although Katic is peerless in a defensive dual, his general defensive play isn't brilliant, he's made big errors in every game recently so rotating him shouldn't be out of the question. Maybe after such a comfortbale win Gerrard will decide he can afford to rotate more players at a time than he'd normally risk.

Had to go with Defoe - his hat trick demanded it. However, there were Man of The Match performances all over the pitch..on any other day Jones, Davis or Jack would have picked it up, and the fact that Alfie didn’t get MoTM for those two exceptional goals just shows the level the whole team are playing at the moment. 

Edited by weebluedevil

15 hours ago, compo said:

We should have substitute's in the poll I've seen players coming on and changing the whole game .

Just a thought .

I'd include them if that was the case. :)