Celtic FC: Unaccountable and Hoodwinking a Nation

Every weekend in the Scottish press you can read advertisements for the self styled ââ?¬Ë?Worlds (sic) Number 1 Glasgow Celtic Bandââ?¬â?¢, Charlie & The Bhoys. This is a busy band who have an extensive gig history and wide repertoire of songs. Lets look at a couple of them starting with the song currently so popular at Celtic Park ââ?¬Ë?Willie Maleyââ?¬â?¢

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbmUQMPJ65g

1 min 2 secs in you get to the crowd courted cry ââ?¬Ë?IRAââ?¬â?¢. This happens every time this song is sung and has done since its inception.

Another popular song which appears on 2 of their CDs is ââ?¬Ë?Go on Home British Soldiersââ?¬â?¢. This can be listened to at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtJOD80S4EI&mode=related&search=

you�ll note that 35 seconds this time the lead singer doesn�t need to rely on the audience singing IRA, its part of the lyrics. And this is not the IRA of the twenties.

Further highlights of their recorded repertoire with the number of CDs they appear on are:

Sean South ââ?¬â?? celebrating the life of a would be IRA assassin from the 1950s. (4)

Broad Black Brimmer ââ?¬â?? celebrating the attire of the IRA (1)

Tom Williams ââ?¬â?? celebrating another active service IRA volunteer (1)

Boys of the Old Brigade ââ?¬â?? an IRA ââ?¬Ë?classicââ?¬â?¢ (3)

Bring Them Home ââ?¬â?? yet another invitation to IRA away (2)

This is by no means exhaustive but gives a flavour of what this band are about, believe and the audience they attract.

Their official site http://www.charlieandthebhoys.co.uk has a link to a web page called ââ?¬Ë?The ****** Pageââ?¬â?¢ at http://uk.geocities.com/samrod_lee/ Oddly enough there is nothing about religion on this site, but a lot about Celtic and republicanism.

So what has this to do with Celtic FC?

This summer Celtic FC are preparing a lavish celebration of their finest ever footballing achievement, celebrating the Lisbon Lions. It would be fair to say that this collection of players have done more than any other to represent Celtic consistently throughout time; often in their employment.

These very same players are more than happy to share a stage with Charlie & The Bhoys. Indeed, CATB boast on their site that ââ?¬Ë?if you would like the Lisbon Lions or Frank McAvennie to attend your supporters night then email us below. We can help you plan a superb question and answers night along with a CATB gigââ?¬â?¢.

They confidently back this up with a photo of Tommy Gemmell and Bertie Auld doing their Q&A bit at a CATB gig in Jersey at:

http://www.geocities.com/charlienthebhoys/lionscatbgigjersey.JPG

Further, evidence that Celtic FC officially endorse CATB is given when they appear to feature on Celtic TV at Seamill at:

http://uk.geocities.com/theworldsnumberonecelticband/seamill2.JPG

CATB showcase a fundraiser for the Brother Walfrid statue that sits outside Celtic Park with former favourite Bobby Lennox

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/CATBhoys/lennoxetc2.jpg

Any prizes for thinking that the man two to his left could be none other than Brian Quinn?

Celtic FC have a number of supporters clubs throughout North America who have an annual convention each summer. Celtic provide a direct web link to this organisation from their official site at http://www.nafcsc.com/ and send over official representatives each year. This year�s extensive official representatives list includes Neil Lennon, Tommy Burns and Billy McNeil. At this moment in time the author doesn�t know if CATB will again share the stage but if the last three years are anything to go by we can only assume, yes. After all, in 2006 the hosting CSC http://www.windsorcsc.com/2006.htm were sure to thank all official attendees who included Billy McNeil, Willie McStay, John Fallon and George McCluskey �and Charlie and the Bhoys.

Also included on the 2006 bill of thanks for providing entertainment was Derek Warfield of Wolfe Tones fame. Derek is not short to hide his admiration for the modern day IRA at his official http://www.derekwarfield.com in which he urges visitors to ââ?¬Ë?never fail to salute the menââ?¬â?¢ of the IRA.

Derek, you may recall was part of the Wolfe Tones group who were given access to Celtic Park in the late 80s/early 90s to shoot their video ââ?¬Ë?Celtic Symphonyââ?¬â?¢ which includes the words ââ?¬Ë?Ooh Ah Up the Raââ?¬â?¢, a popular chant in favour of the IRA at the height of the Troubles. This infamous video can be viewed at:

Derek Warfield and his band are confirmed to appear at the North American Federation of Celtic Supporters Clubs 2007 convention. Entertainment that will no doubt have Messrs McNeil, Lennon and Burns toe tapping along with the remaining members of the Lisbon Lions. Derek says on his site ââ?¬Ë?The Celtic Football Club will always be bigger than the community it serves in Glasgow and it remains a beacon of Irish identity throughout the world. These anthems and songs will never be performed with greater passion than when they are sung by the Bhoysââ?¬â?¢. The quickest of cursory looks at Derekââ?¬â?¢s recorded repertoire will give you a flavour of these IRA songs. Peter Lawwell would need to draw on his unique brand of ââ?¬Ë?factionââ?¬â?¢ to explain how this does not contradict or compromise his boasts about Celtic and sectarianism.

Mr Lawwell is never shy in letting us know that 80,000 Celtic fans (55,000 according to the Spanish authorities and UEFA) went to Seville and were a great credit to their team. Five of those fans were members of CATB and they played to several thousand fans in the build up to this match. CATB official site proudly displays pictures of these huge crowds. One can reasonably assume that their favourite IRA songs were sung with gusto. What does this do for their UEFA award? And why can they continue to play at most of Celtic�s European locations, most recently Milan, without any investigation or questioning.

In light of the above, the question must be asked ââ?¬â?? does this matter?

Not to Celtic, not to NBM, not to the police, not to the Scottish Executive or not to the media apparently.

Frankie, a well put together and well reseached article. Maybe it is worth emailing it to certain media outlets, NBM and the Scottish Exec and pushing them for a comment.

We all know that you'll not get a peep out of them, but it is worth highlighting the above and highlighting the hypocrosy in the 'sectarian debate' in Scotland and Jhoke McConnells definition of 'One Scotland, Many Cultures'.

Cammy F

Does the lack of response to this thread mirror the lack of 'fight' we see from the majority of Rangers 'fans' at this time? Have we resigned ourselves to the fact that we are the 'bad guys', whilst they are all happy go lucky jolly criacsters?

A worrying development in my eyes - it appears that the majority of us are willing to sit back and watch our club die - we are a shambles off and on the pitch, we are unable to attract / sign decent players and we are potrayed as the devil whilst they are allowed to indulge in racism, sectarianism and celebration of child murdering bastards and we just shurg our shoulders and think that it all get better / even itself out in the mists of time.

Cammy F - Wake Up & Smell The Coffee Loyal RSC

Maybe if the hierarchy at Ibrox put up a bit of a fight then they would get the backing of the fans, the silence coming from Ibrox hardly inspires a fight back, but you're right we should be fighting back

Maybe if the hierarchy at Ibrox put up a bit of a fight then they would get the backing of the fans, the silence coming from Ibrox hardly inspires a fight back, but you're right we should be fighting back

A vicious circle m8 - if we are 'silent' then the powers that be think (as they do now) that we are happy at downsizing, we are happy being cast as the villians (look at comments from Bain & McIntyre, they hardly help the situation).

I was one of the few who attended a couple of demostrations and was branded a traitor, and worse a 'fen*** barsteward' by felllow 'fans'. Worse still, the RFC website branded the 'demostrators' as the scum of the earth and actually praised those who attacked the demonstrators - that'll be the 'fans' that kicked, punched, spat at and sang the banned song 'The Billy Boys' and called the protestors (sic) Fenia* Barstewards.

Until the majority of us turn on him we can resign ourselves to being 2nd best (at best) and being attacked by UEFA, SFA and the media - NOTHING will change unless we make the changes - MURRAY HAS BEEN KILLING OUR CLUB FOR YEARS but not enough of us appear to be bothered.

Cammy F

A vicious circle m8 - if we are 'silent' then the powers that be think (as they do now) that we are happy at downsizing, we are happy being cast as the villians (look at comments from Bain & McIntyre, they hardly help the situation).

I was one of the few who attended a couple of demostrations and was branded a traitor, and worse a 'fen*** barsteward' by felllow 'fans'. Worse still, the RFC website branded the 'demostrators' as the scum of the earth and actually praised those who attacked the demonstrators - that'll be the 'fans' that kicked, punched, spat at and sang the banned song 'The Billy Boys' and called the protestors (sic) Fenia* Barstewards.

Until the majority of us turn on him we can resign ourselves to being 2nd best (at best) and being attacked by UEFA, SFA and the media - NOTHING will change unless we make the changes - MURRAY HAS BEEN KILLING OUR CLUB FOR YEARS but not enough of us appear to be bothered.

Cammy F

Agreed, i've never been involved in anything like protesting but i would definately take part in any way i could, but i wouldn't know where to start, it's obvious the club are just going to sit back and accept the shit thrown at us, so i agree we as fans need to start fighting back and i would like to see it in the media, but i get the feeling if for instance we sent the article that Frankie posted to the media it would be thrown in the bin instead of being highlighted and exposed, but you also make a true point on the fans that can see no wrong in SDM and that is a more worrying factor for me

Just having a discussion on MSN with Delboy about this - this may sound contriversial, but I believe that Rangers today have too many supporters and not enough fans. By that, I mean there is not enough 'fans' who would be devistated if there was no 'Rangers'.

Rangers to me, are more than a football team, they are a way of life. They are a social circle, they are the constant that binds so many different people together. I've met and befriended many people from different political, religous, culturial backgrounds just because of a common bond that is 'The Rangers'.

Sadly, the powers that be, and a vast majority of our fans don't see Rangers that way. The board see Rangers as a business, the majority of the fans see Rangers as an excuse to get out of the house on a Saturday (or Sunday).

I honestly don't know what I'd do if there wasn't a Rangers - it would be like losing a beloved family member. If anyone choses to believe that Rangers ceasing to be isn't imaginable, let me tell you that under SDM it is a desticnt possibility.

Cammy F