[FT] Rangers 3 - 1 FC Midtjylland (Morelos 14, 49; Ojo 39)

13 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Only saw bits of the game, excellent result. My main takeaway is Ojo again. 2 assists and another goal. I’m going to continue my Ojo goal count and confirm that his total of 4 goals now puts him only two behind the full season total of the man he replaced Kent. And it’s the 15th of August ? Ojo has added goal threat to our team, he doesn’t play as a winger he plays as a forward and we badly needed that. And he’s by no means the finished article, he can be wasteful. But he’s finding the back of the net often enough despite that. 

Katic. This seems to be a recurring theme and I’m beginning to think we need Helander fit asap and Gerrard knew exactly what he was doing signing him. Ok Flanagan takes a lot of the blame for the goal conceded, slack pass that allowed them in behind him. But the inexperience and poor decision making involved in deciding to leave your man open in the 6 yard box while you go and attempt to block a cross from out wide,  an almost impossible task anyway, no wonder Goldson was furious. The “Katic is our best CB” myth needs to end, he’s a good player that we need to develop. Goldson is our best centre back and we need to get Helander in the team because Katic is making costly mistakes in every game right now. He gets off with a lot of them but he’s cost us several goals already this season. 

You are absolutely Joking. Katic was immense tonight and Goldson was a bombscare on two occasions that nearly cost goals. in the 2nd minute Goldson was poor in letting Anderson shoot just past the post. That could have been a game changer. Later McGregor had a great save with his legs after Goldson failed to cut out a cross. Apart from that Goldson was solid but in every game he has bombscare moments.

2 minutes ago, pete said:

You are absolutely Joking. Katic was immense tonight and Goldson was a bombscare on two occasions that nearly cost goals. in the 2nd minute Goldson was poor in letting Anderson shoot just past the post. That could have been a game changer. Later McGregor had a great save with his legs after Goldson failed to cut out a cross. Apart from that Goldson was solid but in every game he has bombscare moments.

I actually thought both were excellent, as for the goal Katic had to go out to try and block the cross after a mistake from Flanagan, Goldson got beat at the front post! 3 mistakes?

Edited by ian1964

Just now, ian1964 said:

I actually thought both were excellent, as for the goal Karic had to go out to try and block the cross after a mistake from Flanagan, Goldson got beat at the front post! 3 mistakes?

That's more like it. I also thought both centre backs played well. If anything any weakness was more apparent in our fullbacks. For whatever reason, Tav still hasn't fired on all cylinders yet but is slowly getting there, while Flanagans is never going to spend time breaking down the left wing and putting over crosses. 

Summary is we're now just 2 games away from another bite of the Europa pie. I think the majority view around here pre season was that two consecutive bites at that pie was perhaps a bridge too far. Well here we are again and I suspect the majority view now is that it's within our grasp to get there.

If we do it I wont be so concerned about results there. Yes points make us even more money and boost the co-efficient but just getting there is a very welcome and much needed financial boost.

But the league has to be the priority. I would rather lose in any Europa group match than 3 points to anybody at all on the Sunday. The league gives us a potential bite at the Champions League pie with £40 million up for grabs and perhaps up to another £10 million to be made from home games in the way of gate money etc.

Plus getting there couldn't do our attractiveness to sponsors any harm.

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

That's more like it. I also thought both centre backs played well. If anything any weakness was more apparent in our fullbacks. For whatever reason, Tav still hasn't fired on all cylinders yet but is slowly getting there, while Flanagans is never going to spend time breaking down the left wing and putting over crosses. 

Goldson was brilliant at times and both he and Katic played really well in the whole. Flanagan was the obvious offender at the goal and to blame a central defender for trying to stop a cross after that mistake is crazy. Katic makes mistakes as every defender does but I feel Goldson's mistakes are lazy mistakes and that frustrates me more than honest mistakes.

3 minutes ago, pete said:

Goldson was brilliant at times and both he and Katic played really well in the whole. Flanagan was the obvious offender at the goal and to blame a central defender for trying to stop a cross after that mistake is crazy. Katic makes mistakes as every defender does but I feel Goldson's mistakes are lazy mistakes and that frustrates me more than honest mistakes.

As a spectator I find it difficult, if not impossible, to identify honest or lazy mistakes. To do so would require a level of telepathy that I don't possess.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

As a spectator I find it difficult, if not impossible, to identify honest or lazy mistakes. To do so would require a level of telepathy that I don't possess.

I have no telepathy or need it. An honest mistake is where you misplace a pass under pressure or lose out to a player while giving your best. A lazy mistake is where you let your player walk away from you or jog instead of sprinting back or don't do your best to get to a ball etc.

I actually found tonight  incredibly frustrating, at times some of our inter play was brilliant , we can take the ball in tight and play our way out so easily it beautiful to watch , but when we sprung forward our final passes time after time were either under or over played .

I know I’m being ultra picky and the Danes are a decent team but we play slack like that later on and we are getting punished for it .

Thought both CBS were excellent , don’t know really what all the fuss is over Goodson ,thought he was tremendous tonight and big Nico was excellent also , poorest performers imho were both full backs , but you can’t play brilliant every game .

Last point , if Ojo can find a bit of dig and aggression he will go on to be some player , just feel he needs to want it more if that makes sense .