[FT] Rangers 3 - 1 FC Midtjylland (Morelos 14, 49; Ojo 39)

There's only one in the league anywhere near as good as Midtjylland and it's not the sheep. Judging from the evidence we currently have it's difficult to see how the SPL also rans will be able to live with us at Ibrox where we know we have real grass and a full sized pitch.

Even if a few were having an off game the options on the bench are so in depth I have to think that coming to Ibrox is again a formidable proposition for these also rans. And aside from that the fans of the only real competitor are at this very moment soiling their panties at the thought of it.

Gerrard on the ‘send-off’ he gave ex-Celtic star Sviatchenko as Rangers beat Midtjylland

STEVEN GERRARD has played down an alleged coming together with ex-Celtic star Erik Sviatchenko.

The Rangers boss exchanged words with the defender after sweeping aside FC Midtjylland at Ibrox.

He said: “‘I just wished him all the best for the remainder of the season.

“He had obviously been speaking quite a lot through the media over where he is from.

“So it was just a little send-off for him."

Gers announced the season-long loan capture of Andy King from Leicester just minutes after setting up a Europa League play-off against Legia Warsaw.

And Gerrard thanked Brendan Rodgers for allowing the midfielder to become his TENTH signing of the summer.

He said: “We thank Leicester for the opportunity because you and I know from a financial situation there is no way in the world we can bring Premier League players in here.

“The opportunity to get Andy came up in the last 24 hours and I jumped at the chance for numerous reasons.

“One, he is a winner, a Premier League winner. One, because he has had numerous caps at international level.

“Over the course of the last 14 months I have been trying to build a squad but a lot of the guys are very young – they need leadership and guidance in the dressing room.

“So It was a no brainer.

“Financially was well, it made total sense. It is a season long loan, I think Leicester have got a call back on it, but it will be a season long loan.”

Gerrard also quelled injury fears over goal hero Alfredo Morelos, saying: “He's very tough. I think he's took a bit of a whack but I've just asked him how he is and he thinks he will be fine."

Meanwhile FC Midtjylland boss Kenneth Andersen believes Rangers will be too good for Legia in the play off round - backing Gers for a return to the Group Stages.

He confessed: “It was a tough night for my team, but congratulations to Rangers because over the two games they have been much more sharper than us.

“They have shown their qualities over the two games.

“I believe Rangers can go far for sure, they have a very good squad.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4610001/erik-sviatchenko-steven-gerrard-rangers-celtic/

Gerrard European record at Rangers.

Played 20, won 11, drew 7, lost 2.

36 goals for 14 against

Broke a quarter century old Walter Smith record by recording 11 consecutive European games without defeat. Quite remarkable for a youth team coach. I had my doubts when he came in but not now.

Sure he got a budget but so did Pedro and got us nowhere. Gerrard appears to know how to build a winning team.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Gerrard European record at Rangers.

Played 20, won 11, drew 7, lost 2.

36 goals for 14 against

Broke a quarter century old Walter Smith record by recording 11 consecutive European games without defeat. Quite remarkable for a youth team coach. I had my doubts when he came in but not now.

Sure he got a budget but so did Pedro and got us nowhere. Gerrard appears to know how to build a winning team.

Sorry to be pedantic but Walter Smith and McLeish both went 12 games unbeaten, including Champions League games.. maybe Gerrard will beat that this season. 

On another note, is Morelos now our all time top scorer in the UEFA Cup? I believe he broke Nacho Novo’s record last night!

Just now, 917 said:

Sorry to be pedantic but Walter Smith and McLeish both went 12 games unbeaten, including Champions League games.. maybe Gerrard will beat that this season. 

On another note, is Morelos now our all time top scorer in the UEFA Cup? I believe he broke Nacho Novo’s record last night!

I don't doubt you. I took that statistic from Rangers TV commentary.

It's another victory for us, and a step closer to group stages.

I think we can beat leggia, i think these danes were abour on same level. Leta hope so.

Excited for old firm too, 

Stevie G is certainly building us a good squad and bring on 55.

9 hours ago, DMAA said:

Only saw bits of the game, excellent result. My main takeaway is Ojo again. 2 assists and another goal. I’m going to continue my Ojo goal count and confirm that his total of 4 goals now puts him only two behind the full season total of the man he replaced Kent. And it’s the 15th of August ? Ojo has added goal threat to our team, he doesn’t play as a winger he plays as a forward and we badly needed that. And he’s by no means the finished article, he can be wasteful. But he’s finding the back of the net often enough despite that. 

Katic. This seems to be a recurring theme and I’m beginning to think we need Helander fit asap and Gerrard knew exactly what he was doing signing him. Ok Flanagan takes a lot of the blame for the goal conceded, slack pass that allowed them in behind him. But the inexperience and poor decision making involved in deciding to leave your man open in the 6 yard box while you go and attempt to block a cross from out wide,  an almost impossible task anyway, no wonder Goldson was furious. The “Katic is our best CB” myth needs to end, he’s a good player that we need to develop. Goldson is our best centre back and we need to get Helander in the team because Katic is making costly mistakes in every game right now. He gets off with a lot of them but he’s cost us several goals already this season. 

I think you're being unnecessarily harsh on Katic.

I'd agree one of his biggest flaws is his positioning however, in some ways, it's a strength as he's mobile enough to cover and that's when he's usually dragged out to help Goldson and/or whoever is playing at full back.  It doesn't help we're chopping and changing left-back as well.

FWIW, I think our centre-backs have also been instructed to defend high up the pitch to allow us to win the ball back quickly.  This is related to the signing of Helander who likes to attack the ball in offensive areas and it does mean we can get caught out in behind now and again - especially when midfield players don't cover or the full backs go wondering.  I felt Kamara and Tav were guilty of switching off last night and obviously Flanagan cost the goal with his poor play.

As for Goldson, he has been the pick of the bunch defensively for me so far this campaign.  Yes, he's made a few mistakes but he's leading from the back - both in terms of his defensive play and organisation - but also in his distribution which has improved massively over the last six months.  That's why he's first choice and vice-skipper but the efforts of Katic should be recognised too as he's done very well during the last month or two of last season and this opening to this term.  I agree the manager has to take care with him and that Helander may be rotated in but, suffice to say, I'm just as comfortable with Katic as anyone else to be honest.