[FT] Rangers 3 - 1 FC Midtjylland (Morelos 14, 49; Ojo 39)

1 hour ago, pete said:

I don't want to take anything away from Arfield but if I was the Midtjylland manager I would have been furious at the feeble attempt of the first 2 players. The slide in was brilliant.

I don't get your waiting 2 seconds for Goldson to see what Katic is doing. Goldson has a perfect view right along the line and can see Katic, the attacker and the player with the ball, This is near the beginning of the move the player with the ball advanced another 3 yards before crossing. Katic was obviously trying to get as near as possible to narrow the angle of the cross and cut off the route to goal. Goldson had his few seconds but decided to stick with his own player until it was too late.

I think you miss the point.  Katic could have waited.  He didn’t have to rush out immediately.  That then gives Goldson and Tav a second or two to pick up the other players.

nothing to do with Goldson waiting.

6 hours ago, pete said:

Sorry the only one I see here making the right decision is Katic. Katic has to go to him. If he stays with his player the attacking back can run in on goal. Goldson is standing watching instead of moving across. Tavernier is marking Goldson and could have taken Koby if Goldson made an effort to get to the other player. Kamara is a mile from his player. Davis is watching and Docherty had seen the man at the back post but is too late to get to him to play a part. Blaming Katic for this is a joke. If anybody has made a wrong lazy decision here it is Goldson.

Naamloos.jpg

No point in debating this to death @pete I think we will just see it differently. I played across the back four for several years at a low amateur level and your job in this situation is to risk assess and decide where the biggest goal threat is. There was no goal threat here until Katic suddenly leaves a man open inside the box, only the threat of a cross. He didn’t tell anyone to take his man before moving or anything. He ran to block a cross not a goal scoring opportunity. Whatever it is it isn’t “crazy” to see what happened like this I think it’s pretty reasonable and based on my own experience of playing in the position. And Flanagan made a mistake but his mistake only created a dangerous crossing opportunity but not a goalscoring one. It could have developed into one but his mistake didn’t directly cause the goal. 

57 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Out of interest, does anyone know how much the Danes team cost to put together? squad value?

Don’t know about fees but it will be low, their wage bill is half the size of ours. They buy young prospects and sell them on. They make a lot of money from selling players. 

11 hours ago, blueflag said:

I think we can beat leggia, i think these danes were abour on same level. Leta hope so.

I hope so too, but doubt it - Midtylland were woeful, especially in defence - their entire back 4 should have been taken out and shot after the defending for the 3rd goal alone!

I think Progres are actually a better team than them, undoubtedly so in defence. Of course I haven’t seen Legia yet, but the atmosphere alone in Warsaw will be a big test for our team. Of course, Rangers seeding is artificially low due to 5 seasons out of Europe. Some teams like Midtylland seeding is artificially high due to a good run a few years ago. Legia deserve to be seeded though, they certainly thumped celtic & Dundee Utd in recent years. We have a good record against Polish teams and that is usually a good indicator, but I think this is a big step up for us & we could be requiring a huge effort & atmosphere at Ibrox for the 2nd leg as we might have to overturn a deficit. We have nothing to lose though, the league is far more important.

40 minutes ago, DMAA said:

No point in debating this to death @pete I think we will just see it differently. I played across the back four for several years at a low amateur level and your job in this situation is to risk assess and decide where the biggest goal threat is. There was no goal threat here until Katic suddenly leaves a man open inside the box, only the threat of a cross. He didn’t tell anyone to take his man before moving or anything. He ran to block a cross not a goal scoring opportunity. Whatever it is it isn’t “crazy” to see what happened like this I think it’s pretty reasonable and based on my own experience of playing in the position. And Flanagan made a mistake but his mistake only created a dangerous crossing opportunity but not a goalscoring one. It could have developed into one but his mistake didn’t directly cause the goal. 

The biggest risk in this situation is the man with the ball and what he can do with it. If you can stop the cross they can have ten players in there. I don't think it is only me you are debating with, I think most agree Katic has to step out to cut off the route to goal