Rugby World Cup

22 hours ago, Bill said:

I'm struggling to think of anything they're "shit" at. They're also netball world champions, holders of the Americas Cup, rugby league world champs, rugby sevens world champs, God knows how many types of bowls - for a country of less than 5 million I'd say that's pretty amazing. 

I take that back, I didn’t know those other things although two of those are still just rugby! 

Puts our own dear green place to shame even more than I thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Bill said:

What a morning’s rugby. France v Argies was an absolute classic - only the result let us down. Appetite duly whetted. 

What a morning's rugby.

Appetite lost.

Atotally abject performance from the National XV, which had no redeeming features whatsoever; no, not one.

Perhaps the fact that the micks didn't put 50 points on us is a +ve. 

5 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

What a morning's rugby.

Appetite lost.

Atotally abject performance from the National XV, which had no redeeming features whatsoever; no, not one.

Perhaps the fact that the micks didn't put 50 points on us is a +ve. 

You’re right about that. There’s a level of incapability in this country that’s hard to explain but that seems to tarnish everything we touch nowadays. Maybe it’s Westminster’s fault. 

Townsend seems to have dismantled everything Vern Cotter built, without replacing it with anything of his own.

Edited by Bill

The players are decent, some even 'International Class', but we do lack power, and power allied to pace, and, of course, a perennial shortfall is the lack of a big truly hard bastard, or two. 

The coach seems to be trying to impose a style of play which requires skill levels perhaps above those of the majority of the available talent, and, of course, as National Coach, he has only limited time on the playing field to work  with the players.

The result is that the game plan and the play can often be, frankly, frantic, with players trying to force the pass, or the break, or the play, and not electing to maintain control/possession.  Unforced errors happen, but it does seem that the amount of these in our game must be increased by this style of play. This also impacts on individual's decision making, which today was poor, significantly more wrong than right. #

The kicking from hand was poor, generally, and long passes to a man standing still will never cut it at this level. 

Overall, I don't know where they go from here.  Perhaps it will all come good in the next game against Samoa. If it does, it can be impressive;

If not it's a shambles. 

Too wee, too weak, too slow.

Twenty + years ago a retired Irish international said the state of Irish rugby is desperate but not serious. I think I know what he meant, maybe.  And he was right, probably.

The current state of Scottish rugby is undoubtedly desperate but is it also serious?