Josh McPake targeted by Ireland as Scotland face fight for winger

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

I only intended to comment once but you kept saying nobody had said he should choose ROI so I replied 

That's not actually what I said but life's too short to really care who he chooses to play for. Good luck to him while he's a Rangers, as for the rest of it ...

1 hour ago, pete said:

While I am not as fanatical about Scotland as I used to be they will always be my countries national team and I won't let them change that. Lets also be honest, between 2012 until now we didn't really have a player who deserved to be called up. You can argue Lee Wallace but even that is a weak argument.

Who are “them”?

Good deal for him to go to Dundee. Hope it helps them on the way back and keeps the Arabs where they belong.

As for Ireland or Scotland ... McPake is 17 and has quite a bit to go before being selected for a full national team. Methinks the Scottish u21 setup ain`t that bad, yet, when it comes to the national side ... it has been a shambles for years, if not decades. Whereas the Irish seemingly got their act together and are usually close to qualifying or at the bigger tournaments. So it might also be a question about professionalism and potential, rather than nationality. As we all know, playing for Ireland does not mean that he no longer is Scottish.

Flanagan is Anglo-Irish, Kamara is Finno-Sierra Leonish, King Anglo-Welsh, Arfield Anglo-Canadian, Ojo and Aribo are Anglo-Nigerian, Jones Anglo-Ulsterish and Defoe Anglo-St.Lucian. Why would the choice for McPake any different?

One Irish grandparent. Are the other three Scots? I assume mother and father are Scots. The qualification rules are nonsense.

ROI team wouldn’t have performed as well as they have done for twenty plus years without all their Englishmen

42 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Good deal for him to go to Dundee. Hope it helps them on the way back and keeps the Arabs where they belong.

As for Ireland or Scotland ... McPake is 17 and has quite a bit to go before being selected for a full national team. Methinks the Scottish u21 setup ain`t that bad, yet, when it comes to the national side ... it has been a shambles for years, if not decades. Whereas the Irish seemingly got their act together and are usually close to qualifying or at the bigger tournaments. So it might also be a question about professionalism and potential, rather than nationality. As we all know, playing for Ireland does not mean that he no longer is Scottish.

Flanagan is Anglo-Irish, Kamara is Finno-Sierra Leonish, King Anglo-Welsh, Arfield Anglo-Canadian, Ojo and Aribo are Anglo-Nigerian, Jones Anglo-Ulsterish and Defoe Anglo-St.Lucian. Why would the choice for McPake any different?

I ought to wish the RoI well as I do NI but really their attitude to us has been 'predatory' - not my word but that of Brian Kerr former manager. Instead of pursuing their own youth policy they scroll the ancestries of all young players in Britain. The 4 home nations have a gentleman's agreement not to poach, but RoI is a foreign country so it doesn't apply. Considering a big chunk of our greatest rivals' support pay homage to this foreign nation, it beggars belief to me that any of our support would want to see our players helping to develop that nation.

As for McPake, he may not really be ready for our U21s (Middleton is in the queue before him) so RoI doing this is just a cheap attempt to tie him down at our expense for the future. 

48 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

One Irish grandparent. Are the other three Scots? I assume mother and father are Scots. The qualification rules are nonsense.

ROI team wouldn’t have performed as well as they have done for twenty plus years without all their Englishmen

I believe Tav qualifies to play for Scotland if he is here next season! I think??

At least they actually have a blood relative, Egg chasing is a joke, even big Jackie Charlton would be embarrassed by the nationalities allowed to play for the home nations.

1 hour ago, Devil's advocaat said:

At least they actually have a blood relative, Egg chasing is a joke, even big Jackie Charlton would be embarrassed by the nationalities allowed to play for the home nations.

Not to mention cricket.. anyway good luck to Josh McPake. He could play for ROI up to under 21, even at full level in a friendly & still switch allegiance to Scotland after that (or vice versa). Clearly he is a long way off that level, or indeed the Rangers first team. He might never play for either..