[FT] Legia 0 - 0 Rangers

After struggling through hurricane methilda, Rangers notched up 3-0 win against East Fife at Bayview Stadium to move on to the next round of the Betfred cup. In a game played in gusting winds which made football pretty difficult. Well unless your name is Joe Aribo who seems to be able to play good in any conditions. What a buy he looks to be turning into or should we call it shoplifting as he really is a steal from Charlton. Defoe as well, How sublime was that first touch to take out the East Fife defenders. One thing came to my mind. If Bournemouth have three strikers better than Defoe then they really have the Crown Jewels. They should lock them up in the Tower of London.

On Thursday we cross swords with Legia Warsaw. This is the last qualifying round of the Europa League. Win and we enter the tournament for real in the play-off groups with the riches that comes with it. Lose and we are back just fighting for the national trophy's to the loss of the much needed European cash cow. Many supporters have mixed feeling about a long journey in Europe as they would prefer all our efforts to go into fighting for the SPFL which would be our 55th league trophy. I understand that sentiment but the cash and the feel good factor of a good run in Europe is for me essential to the health of the club. Graham Souness said he would have a team for Europe and a team for the national league and I am pretty sure that is Gerrards master plan to have at least two good enough players for every position that he can play almost a fresh team every time we play.

Every man and his dog is all of a sudden predicting a massive Rangers win but I hope Rangers are taking this with a piece of salt. I remember many games where the coaches of the other teams make us favourite but it turns out to be Bullshit. Cologne beating us at Ibrox springs to mind. The manager was spewing the no chance card but they beat us at Ibrox. Lets not fall into the old easy game mode.

Gerrard has stated although we have two men for every position he will pick his strongest team for every game. Looking at his teams over te last few weeks the you have to say that the defence actually picks itself except for the left back position. McGregor will start in goals. Wes Foderinham is unlucky really as he has really has done nothing wrong but McGregor can make those wonder saves which earns you points and Wes has that to a lesser degree. Tavernier Goldson and Katic are stick-ons so no discussion there. At left back Flanagan has been wearing the shirt as the say but in recent weeks he has been making a number of mistakes that have led to goals. Personally I prefer Andy Halliday to Flanigan as he is more attacking and as for Barisic it really looks like Gerrard is not his greatest supporter and you have to wonder if he has a future at Ibrox. I think not!

In the midfield I really love Glen Kamara as he is always a way to pass out of trouble but unfortunately in recent weeks he has been passing us into trouble far too often.I am pretty sure the gaffer will play him as this game as it will be won in the midfield and I expect Davis, Jack, Kamara, Haribo and Jones to play. Only the Buff will be playing striker I don't even see a discussion there.

I think the team will be:

\

McGregor

Tavernier Goldson Katic Halliday

Davis jack Kamara

Aribo Jones

Morelos

The only surprise I see to this is that the gaffer may surprise us by dropping Kamara and playing King in the midfield. I think we can safely say that Greg Docherty has dropped out of the boss's direct plans and I won't be surprised to see him go out on loan soon or possibly even sold, It is a shame as there is a good player in there but you have to ask if he can reach the levels of an Aribo.

The surprise package for me this year is Jordon Jones. I think he has shown enough to prove people wrong that said he could never be a Rangers player. He is far from the finished article but he really has shown that he certainly has the talent to push on and become a top player.

As I write this the War of the worlds is playing on the radio which brings me to Alfie. Every game Alfie plays is like a war, and in my eyes he is out of this world. I really hope the transfer window smashes shut with Alfie still at Ibrox as he will be virtually impossible to replace at short notice.

As I said people are saying this is not the old Legia and they are not playing well. Forget it Rangers! We have heard that story too often in the past and it came back to bite us on the bum. We have to treat every game as a cup tie and give the opposition respect but show no fear. No game is easy in Europe.

C'mon the Gers!

A bit of a wishwash but I was writing between the chores on my wife's list.:D

MISSING OUT

Filip Helander and Greg Docherty dropped from Rangers’ Europa League squad

• Aidan Scott
  • 19 Aug 2019, 13:33
  • Updated: 19 Aug 2019, 13:34

FILIP HELANDER and Greg Docherty have been dropped from Rangers' Europa League squad.

The Swedish defender, who joined the Light Blues from Bologna in a £3million deal, scored on his debut against East Fife.

Filip Helander celebrates after scoring for Rangers
Filip Helander celebrates after scoring for RangersCredit: Getty Images - Getty

But there is no room for him in the side that will take on Legia Warsaw in the first leg of their Europa League play-off.

Docherty, who featured against East Fife, will also miss out on Thursday evening's clash.

The duo have been replaced in the squad by new signings Andy King and Brandon Barker.

King joined the club on loan from Leicester City last week, while Barker penned a three-year deal after leaving Manchester City.

Greg Docherty has been dropped from the Europa League squad
Greg Docherty has been dropped from the Europa League squadCredit: Willie Vass - The Sun

NINTCHDBPICT000513488168.jpg?crop=731px%

Rangers are just two games away from reaching the Europa League group stage for the second successive season.

They have already overcome St Joseph's, Progres Niederkorn and Midtjylland to reach the play-off.

But the Light Blues will face a tougher test against a Legia side that have yet to concede in the Europa League qualifiers this season.

Meanwhile, the Polish club's fans have promised that even though their wives and children "are crying", they'll all be coming to Glasgow.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4621419/filip-helander-greg-docherty-rangers-europa-league/

Legia Warsaw on Glasgow revenge mission against Rangers after Celtic heartbreak in 2014 says Henning Berg

HENNING BERG insists he will be forever scarred by Legia Warsaw’s last trip to Glasgow.

Berg was in charge of the Polish side in 2014 when they were booted out of the Champions League for fielding an ineligible player despite hammering Celtic 6-1 on aggregate.

Time has not proved a great healer with the former Rangers and Manchester United defender still adamant Celts plumbed the depths in the aftermath of the controversial game.

The Hoops were reinstated with Legia punished by Uefa for fielding Bartosz Bereszynski, who came off the bench for the final four minutes of their 2-0 second-leg victory at Murrayfield when he was supposed to be serving a suspension.

Celtic were awarded the game 3-0 meaning they progressed on away goals having lost the first match in Warsaw 4-1.

Berg felt there was a lack of sporting integrity on the Parkhead club’s part and still remains convinced they should have stood aside and let Legia qualify.

Having previously had a foot in both camps, the former Norway international is looking forward to Gers’ Europa League play-off clash in the Polish Army Stadium on Thursday evening. However, he is hoping that whoever reaches the group phase of the competition does so on their own merits.

Berg said: “I don’t think a situation like this can ever leave you. It will stay with you for the rest of your life.

“What happened goes against every fair play rule in history. For Celtic to go through on away goals after being given a 3-0 victory was not right.

“We beat them 6-1 on aggregate so not to go through was very difficult to comprehend. It made it difficult for years to come financially.

“It also took the chance to play in the Champions League away from the players. That should not be and they will never, ever get it back.

“From a sporting and football point of view, it was a catastrophe.

“Celtic, particularly given their history and stature, should not have sunk to this level.

“We were by far the best team over two legs, the scoreline reflected that.

“But there was a mistake made by the club and a player played five minutes of the game when he shouldn’t.

“It was crazy but hopefully something like this will never happen again. If you want football to be the winner, you have to make sure bureaucracy and politics are not involved.

“The club’s recovered but everyone who was part of it will always feel this was unjust.”

Berg, now in charge of Cypriot side Omonia, was surprised how easily Gers dismantled Midtjylland in the third qualifying round.

The 7-3 aggregate scoreline reflected their total superiority — but Berg reckons Steven Gerrard’s side will face a much tougher test against the Poles, who have kept five consecutive clean sheets.

He said: “Legia have a good record against teams from Glasgow so they will have happy memories from their performance in Scotland!

“At the moment, I think Rangers are improving a lot under Steven Gerrard. They are building a good squad and they are playing exciting football as well.

“The results in Europe so far this season have been impressive. Legia are not as strong as they used to be when they were qualifying for the Champions League.

“But they are still a well-organised team with good players.

“I would say it is 60-40 in favour of Rangers going through. Rangers are slight favourites but it wouldn’t surprise me if Legia beat them.

“However, I was very surprised that Midjtylland were not able to compete better with Rangers. They are regarded as a decent team in Denmark. They have won the league recently and done well in Europe. They had a lot going for them in terms of experience, but they were no match for Rangers.

“I think it will be much closer in this tie. I don’t think it will be over after the first leg this time.

“They have changed quite a lot since I was in charge and there are only a couple of players left.

“Defensively Legia are excellent. They do not concede many goals.

“The problem for them has been scoring them so I don’t expect a high scoring result in this match. “

Hitting the net has not been a problem in Europe this term for the Ibrox outfit and that is where Berg feels they hold the upper hand.

They have already netted 19 times in three Euro ties with Alfredo Morelos top scorer in the competition with seven goals.

Berg added: “Rangers don’t seem to have a problem scoring goals at the moment. At this level having proven goalscorers in your team can make all the difference.

“Rangers look really threatening up front with Morelos getting better and better every game I watch him.
“He is an exciting young player who will cause trouble for most defences while Jermain Defoe is still a great striker. As a manager, it is such a boost when you have two players of that calibre in your squad.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4622935/legia-warsaw-rangers-celtic-henning-berg/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1566250454

Legia Warsaw’s chances against Rangers dismissed by former Celtic hero

Jackie Dziekanowski doesn’t rate his former side and has told Rangers they are favourites to reach the Europa League group stage.

0_Legia-Warszawa-v-Dudelange-Europa-LeagLegia players troop off after losing to Dudelange last year (Image: NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Jackie Dziekanowski doesn’t rate his former side and has told Rangers they are favourites to reach the Europa League group stage.

Legia Warsaw fans unveiled a banner claiming their families will be crying as they leave them behind to head to Glasgow for their Europa League playoff return leg against Rangers

And Jackie Dziekanowski reckons it could all end in tears for the Polish side.

The former Celtic striker - who had two spells at Legia - believes his former club are paying the price for a trigger-happy board going through too many managers. 

Legia reached the Champions League group stage three years ago and finished third before losing to Ajax after dropping into the Europa League

It was the first time in 20 years they had reached the groups in Europe’s premier competition but boss Jacek Magiera was still sacked the following season.

Two years earlier they crushed Celtic 6-1 on aggregate in a Champions League qualifier only to be disqualified for fielding an ineligible player. But Legia have struggled in recent seasons, losing to F91 Dudelange of Luxembourg last year, and Dziekanowski admits they have been far from convincing in this campaign.

Aleksandar Vukovic’s side won 1-0 against Zaglebie on Sunday, with fans displaying a banner which read: “Crying wives, crying children, each one of us is flying to Glasgow.”

Dziekanowski works as a TV pundit and keeps a close eye on Legia but has also been keeping tabs on Rangers.

Dariusz Dziekanowski scores a spectacular goal for Celtic against Moscow Dynamo in 1989
Dariusz Dziekanowski scores a spectacular goal for Celtic against Moscow Dynamo in 1989 (Image: Daily Record)

Ahead of Thursday’s first leg in Warsaw, the 56-year-old said: “Rangers are favourites because they have made big progress. Their ambition is to catch Celtic and become champions.

“They appointed Steven Gerrard who is a very ambitious coach with a bright future and they have quality players.

“They have made a fantastic start to the league campaign with eight goals in two games but Legia are struggling for form. If they don’t drastically improve then Rangers will definitely win.

“Last season they lost to Dudelange which was very disappointing. For most of the players it will be a big test because they haven’t faced a team like Rangers before and are inexperienced at this level.”

Aleksandar Vukovic is the man in Legia’s dugout now but Dziekanowski insists the jury remains out on him.

And he hasn’t been impressed by their Europa League victories over Europa, KPS Kuopio and Atromitos.

He said: “Legia didn’t play well against poor teams from Gibraltar, Finland and Greece so Rangers will be a big test.

“Legia are under pressure to get into the group stage because they need money for transfers.

“But they are trying to find their form under Vukovic who was assistant coach and caretaker before his permanent appointment.

“The supporters are waiting for a good performance and believe it will come against Rangers.

0_KuPS-vs-Legia-Kuopio-Finland-01-Aug-20
Carlitos (L) has been benched (Image: Mauri Ratilainen/EPA-EFE/REX)

“The player who most impresses me is Carlitos who was top scorer two years ago but he has been on the bench. Why has he been on the bench? Most of the fans are asking the same question.

“He is a creative player but the manager leaves him on the bench. Maybe he is saving him for Glasgow Rangers!

“Legia also have a good young goalkeeper Radoslaw Majecki who is only 19 years old and there are experienced players in defence.

“The manager said after the Zaglebie Lubin match they won a game they were favourites to win but Thursday is a different situation because Rangers are favourites.

“Legia Warsaw played against Celtic five years ago and we were disappointed with the scandal after the administrative error that saw a suspended player feature.

“There is no doubt this current team is much weaker than the team who faced Celtic. They are inexperienced, they don’t play with style and don’t look good.

“Legia Warsaw were in the Champions League group stage two years ago and played against Real Madrid, Sporting Lisbon and Borussia Dortmund and finished third.

“It was a good team and they played attractive football but in recent years the board have made a lot of wrong decisions in terms of appointing managers.

“The manager during the Champions League run was Jacek Magiera but he was sacked early the following season and there have been five managers since.

“Every manager has their own vision and it’s a problem because the club must have the vision and employ the right man to see it through.”

JS45017811.jpg
Legia fans are not keen on UEFA

Dziekanowski, capped 62 times for his country, joined Celtic for £600,000 in 1989 and has fond memories of his first clash with Rangers a few months later.

He smiled: “I remember my first game against Rangers at Celtic Park and Terry Butcher scored but I scored the equaliser, although it was a very lucky goal!”

The former striker also recalled a time when he helped Legia take on giants of European football with two epic clashes in against Inter Milan in the 1980s.

He said: “We lost to Inter Milan in successive seasons in the UEFA Cup when they had big stars like Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Giuseppe Bergomi.

“In 1985 we drew 0-0 in Milan and lost to a goal in extra time by Pietro Fanna in Warsaw. The following season we won 3-2 win Warsaw and lost 1-0 in Italy - and Pietro Fanna scored the goal Our performances were so good but we were a bit unlucky.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/legia-warsaws-chances-against-rangers-18964582

I think we’re definitely favourites for this one but they won’t be as easy to break down so present us with a very different challenge to an attacking (and lightweight) side like Midtjylland. 

7 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Poor show King/Barker have not been with club long enough to be conversant with playing style and other players.

7 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Helender isn't fully match fit and Docherty wasn't great in Methil, so I'm not terribly surprised.

I’m surprised. I think it’s confirmed the suspicion that King hasn’t come in to be number 6 in centre mid but number 5 and challenging for 4 with the real chance of being rotated in quite often. That signing made no sense to me if he was behind Docherty but I think it confirms the gaffer doesn’t trust Docherty unfortunately. 

Dropping Helander is bizarre. It’s easy to pick up suspensions in Europe we’re now going in with three recognised centre backs. Even Barisic kept his place as 3rd choice left back. The only positive spin I can see is that he’s been told that by not being in the squad he can focus on his fitness for now and challenge for inclusion in the domestic squads. 

Barker is another surprise but I wonder if he’s jumping the queue in that position too. Stewart doesn’t seem to be catching the manager’s eye which I’ve been a bit disappointed by. 

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

I’m surprised. I think it’s confirmed the suspicion that King hasn’t come in to be number 6 in centre mid but number 5 and challenging for 4 with the real chance of being rotated in quite often. That signing made no sense to me if he was behind Docherty but I think it confirms the gaffer doesn’t trust Docherty unfortunately. 

Dropping Helander is bizarre. It’s easy to pick up suspensions in Europe we’re now going in with three recognised centre backs. Even Barisic kept his place as 3rd choice left back. The only positive spin I can see is that he’s been told that by not being in the squad he can focus on his fitness for now and challenge for inclusion in the domestic squads. 

Barker is another surprise but I wonder if he’s jumping the queue in that position too. Stewart doesn’t seem to be catching the manager’s eye which I’ve been a bit disappointed by. 

I thought it strange that we had 3 left backs too but Flanagan is cover for right back so we've got 4 players for the 2 full back positions.

It does seem strange though that we've got 5 players going for the 2 wide forward positions but only 3 centre halves.