[FT] Legia 0 - 0 Rangers

34 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I too fell some players look shattered, and should subbed, from time to time. But, then again, I do appreciate the need to keep that intensity in the side; these guys are switched on, whereas a player being subbed in would take a while to get up to speed. 

I did think Arfield looked knackered against Midtjylland last week, and I said he should be subbed, then he proceeds to run the length of the pitch and score!

23 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Yeah, I was thinking same last night.  

I think the nature of the game was why the manager didn't make subs around the 60-70 mark.  basically the match had become fairly open and was being played at quite a pace.  With that in mind, it might have taken a sub 5-10mins to get up with that intensity so it was somewhat of a risk to bring someone on when it was perhaps easier for us to sit a bit deeper and avoid box-to-box play which was clearly taking its toll on a few players.

On the other hand, perhaps someone like Jones might have enabled us to get forward more and be more of a threat ourselves.  That was the twist and the manager decided to stick for now which is probably fair enough.  

I think this is more applicable to defenders really who are man marking and are on high alert. Ojo was the main one last night because as he tired his performance really dipped and we couldn’t keep the ball up the park. I don’t see much risk in replacing a tired forward player who isnt playing well. Maybe I’m just more of a pessimist than some others on here but I felt we were under pressure for the final 20-25 and we didn’t have an outball. 

Edited by DMAA

7 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

While I thought the whole team played very well last night, I thought Jack stood out yet again, what a player he has turned out to be, all through hard graft and listening to his coaches.

Agreed. Against much expectation Ryan Jack has turned out to be the jewel in our crown so far. Looking back, he was head and shoulders the best player at Aberdeen and I don't doubt he could hold his place pretty much anywhere he chooses to go in future. Thankfully someone saw what he had to offer and brought him to Rangers. The fact the Kittybrewster Kid is a Rangers fan doesn't do any harm either.

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

Exactly. 

I really don't understand this bizarre need to try and make out one is someone the saviour of the other.  Other than one or two mistakes each, they both played well again and ensured a clean sheet.

Because certain people think Goldson is some kind of god and sit waiting to pounce on Katic for making a mistake even if he is not the perpetrator of the mistake. Goldson makes a huge mistake almost every game. I am not talking about a small mistake I am talking about a "What the F*** are you doing" mistake. A lot of people don't seem to want to see that, but if Katic farts they are on his back. Thankfully there are a lot who agree with me and it is becoming more and more obvious. Katic is the best defender we have at the moment and Gerrard made a big mistake last season dropping him for Worrel.

17 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

While I thought the whole team played very well last night, I thought Jack stood out yet again, what a player he has turned out to be, all through hard graft and listening to his coaches.

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

Agreed. Against much expectation Ryan Jack has turned out to be the jewel in our crown so far. Looking back, he was head and shoulders the best player at Aberdeen and I don't doubt he could hold his place pretty much anywhere he chooses to go in future. Thankfully someone saw what he had to offer and brought him to Rangers. The fact the Kittybrewster Kid is a Rangers fan doesn't do any harm either.

I actually thought this was his best performance in a Rangers shirt. Some of his out side of the foot passes were sublime, you could see them curl round the Legia players. @Bill you've defended Jack all the way and you've been vindicated, it seems like he's finally not the whipping boy any more. 

Is this really necessary? Cant we just back both players? The stats tell us they are an effective centre back pairing and they'll only get better the more they play together. The presumption of perfection is such a pointless position to take - almost as bad as trying to play one of them off against the other. Tempted to say "get a life".

5 minutes ago, pete said:

Because certain people think Goldson is some kind of god and sit waiting to pounce on Katic for making a mistake

Hard to miss the irony here, this is exactly what you are like every game but the other way around. You're always pouncing on Goldson after a game. I've only pointed out some of Katic's big mistakes recently due to the imbalance in the way you comment on the players.

They are both good players but both are making some costly mistakes at the moment despite otherwise good performances.