[FT] Legia 0 - 0 Rangers

3 hours ago, pete said:

Because certain people think Goldson is some kind of god and sit waiting to pounce on Katic for making a mistake even if he is not the perpetrator of the mistake. Goldson makes a huge mistake almost every game. I am not talking about a small mistake I am talking about a "What the F*** are you doing" mistake. A lot of people don't seem to want to see that, but if Katic farts they are on his back. Thankfully there are a lot who agree with me and it is becoming more and more obvious. Katic is the best defender we have at the moment and Gerrard made a big mistake last season dropping him for Worrel.

And yet strangely enough you seem to be doing the same thing to Goldson you are accusing others of doing to Katic… #irony

3 hours ago, DMAA said:

Hard to miss the irony here, this is exactly what you are like every game but the other way around. You're always pouncing on Goldson after a game. I've only pointed out some of Katic's big mistakes recently due to the imbalance in the way you comment on the players.

They are both good players but both are making some costly mistakes at the moment despite otherwise good performances.

We've drawn 2 games this season (with one being a scoreless draw and the other in a friendly...) and won the rest - so how can they have been costly mistakes ?

2 minutes ago, craig said:

And yet strangely enough you seem to be doing the same thing to Goldson you are accusing others of doing to Katic… #irony

Not really as many have Goldson as a god and above criticism. If Katic makes a blunder I will say that as well. I believe Katic had a blunder in the first few minutes yesterday but unfortunately due to RTV I missed it.

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

I cannot believe we paid £5m for Helander with no intention of playing him as a first pick. Add in the fact that SG emphasised the fact he is a left-footer and you would have to think that Katic and Helander will be our first choice pairing before too long. Maybe SG is just waiting for an opportunity - like injury to Goldson - to try it out.

Just as well you don't believe it because there is no way we paid 5 million for Helander.

21 minutes ago, pete said:

Not really as many have Goldson as a god and above criticism. If Katic makes a blunder I will say that as well. I believe Katic had a blunder in the first few minutes yesterday but unfortunately due to RTV I missed it.

You're having a nightmare here pete.  Not one person on here considers Goldson a "god".  Not one.

Katic has played well so far this season and deserves plaudits, but he IS prone to mistakes, as is every other player, Goldson included.

You were, IIRC, fairly quiet when Katic was playing against Hamilton last season (plus the games either side of that) and was having an absolute nightmare of a time - much of the reason he was pulled from the team - because, at that time, he couldn't be trusted.

He is, right now, our best CB in my mind and deserves tons of praise, particularly given he is keeping Helander out of the team.  If he keeps up this form I would imagine that our CB pairing will ultimately be Katic and Helander - but, positively, when was the last time we had FOUR CB's we felt we could trust - with Helander, Goldson, Edmundson and Katic we have the defensive spine of our team for years to come with all of them being fairly young - Helander being the oldest at 27 I believe.  What a position to be in defensively :D

Why can't we just accept that ALL players make mistakes, point them out when they happen, but not see that as being some sort of "he's shite" observation or as being a "his CB partner is god" observation ???

27 minutes ago, pete said:

Here we go again - this obsession is getting embarrassing and is starting to spoil some threads.

Who treats Goldson like a God and doesn't criticise him as I don't know anyone on here that doesn't recognise the guy's faults and mistakes?

12 minutes ago, craig said:

You're having a nightmare here pete.  Not one person on here considers Goldson a "god".  Not one.

Katic has played well so far this season and deserves plaudits, but he IS prone to mistakes, as is every other player, Goldson included.

You were, IIRC, fairly quiet when Katic was playing against Hamilton last season (plus the games either side of that) and was having an absolute nightmare of a time - much of the reason he was pulled from the team - because, at that time, he couldn't be trusted.

He is, right now, our best CB in my mind and deserves tons of praise, particularly given he is keeping Helander out of the team.  If he keeps up this form I would imagine that our CB pairing will ultimately be Katic and Helander - but, positively, when was the last time we had FOUR CB's we felt we could trust - with Helander, Goldson, Edmundson and Katic we have the defensive spine of our team for years to come with all of them being fairly young - Helander being the oldest at 27 I believe.  What a position to be in defensively :D

Why can't we just accept that ALL players make mistakes, point them out when they happen, but not see that as being some sort of "he's shite" observation or as being a "his CB partner is god" observation ???

Not really having a nightmare. Quite enjoying the discussion really.

11 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Here we go again - this obsession is getting embarrassing and is starting to spoil some threads.

Who treats Goldson like a God and doesn't criticise him as I don't know anyone on here that doesn't recognise the guy's faults and mistakes?

Come on Frankie a few weeks ago Goldson had a blunder that nearly cost us and people were voting him for MOTM

12 minutes ago, pete said:

Come on Frankie a few weeks ago Goldson had a blunder that nearly cost us and people were voting him for MOTM

Are you seriously suggesting players can't be man of the match if they make a mistake during a game?

Does that mean Defoe or Morelos can't be man of the match if they score a hat-trick but miss a sitter?  Or Jack should be ashamed of himself for misplacing one pass in fifty?  Perhaps Katic is a bombscare because he needlessly dived into a tackle and McGregor had to save his arse last night?  Or maybe all these players have been very good lately but are imperfect?

People voted Goldson for Man of the Match in a couple of games recently because he's been very solid at the back, has passed the ball very well and even scored a vital winner in the Killie game.  Has he made a few mistakes in games as well?  Absolutely yes and every single person on here has also acknowledged that.  He made two last night - one in the first half when he failed to intercept a cross when he looked favourite to do so and then again in the second half when he tried to be clever on the touch-line instead of clearing his lines.  However, that doesn't mean he didn't have a decent game generally.

It's really not difficult to approach player analysis objectively.  You should try it instead of making embarrassing claims that you just can't back up.