Rangers become first British football club to receive a top award from the Ministry of Defence

RANGERS have become the first British club to receive a top award from the Ministry of Defence.

The Ibrox club are among five employers from the south of Scotland who will receive an Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS) Gold Award for their support for the armed forces.

Gers signed the 'Armed Forces Covenant' in October 2016 and have regularly welcomed guests to Ibrox as part of the Tickets for Troops initiatives.

Rangers Charity Foundation will also receive the award for their support for a number of service charities working with existing and ex-forces personnel including Erskine, Poppyscotland, SSAFA and Combat Stress.

Speaking on the honour, Gers director Stewart Robertson said: “Achieving the Gold Award is a wonderful recognition for both the Club and Foundation and I would like to pay tribute to everyone within Rangers, as well as our supporters, who have contributed to this important work over many years.

“We are committed to doing whatever we can to support those who serve and promote an armed forces-friendly environment. I know that this special accolade will inspire us to advocate on behalf of the MOD’s Employers’ Recognition Scheme further.

“Congratulations to all the organisations receiving an award in 2019.”

Boss Steven Gerrard added: “This is proud moment for everyone at the Club and Foundation, who I know work hard to support serving Armed Forces personnel and veterans each season.

“I hope that the fans will join us all in celebrating this special award – it’s well deserved.”

Colin Vooght, head of engagement at Lowland Reserve Forces’ and Cadets’ Association (RFCA), said: “This is the first time a football club has attained a Gold Award and we congratulate Rangers in this fantastic achievement.

“We have worked closely with Rangers over the last few years and have been impressed by the way they have translated their commitment into activity, with a range of initiatives to support service men and women.

“I would also like to congratulate the wide variety of different organisations who received a Gold Award this year. This proves companies and institutions of all sizes and sectors can play their part in supporting the armed forces community in Scotland.

“I am delighted that these employers have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence’s highest award and look forward to continuing to work alongside each of the award winners in the future.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4632915/rangers-first-football-club-ministry-of-defence-award/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1566459813

Be that as it may, I would welcome the Ministry of Defence as well as any British soldier veterans organisation speaking out and/or condemning the unlawful praising of terrorists over at the Scumhut. We can cry our souls out at this at fan boards or the like, but it is up to the authorities - and aside the aforementioned also the Ministry of Justice and the Home Office - to act against illegal pro-terrorist behaviour as per Terrorism Act 2000 and 2006 ... as well as asking the Scottish authorities to finally do their duty.

Edited by der Berliner

Well done, excellent news. Those who have been involved are a credit to themselves and Rangers.

However, this is not going to go down well with the hundreds of thousands of SNP-voting republican Rangers fans who allegedly pack Ibrox every week. The many Celtic supporting mates in their social circles are going to be less than impressed.

Saor Alba - Tiocfaidh ar la

Edited by Bill

5 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I think we should show off this valued award at our next domestic home game at half time, to a rousing soundtrack of Rule Britannia and the National Anthem. Cant remember who we play though.....

Can't remember either but whoever the team in question are they should probably give our team a guard of honour prior to kick off.