Ongoing issues with UEFA (two sanctions and counting)

28 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Going back to the songs we can sing, let’s be honest, most of us cringe when we hear TBB or SR. There are still loads of others we CAN sing for eg; Derry’s walls, BMG, Every Saturday We Follow, Blue Sea of Ibrox and loads of other traditional songs that don’t contain FTP or F@nians etc. This is not difficult, it’s easy enough to do, and takes the initiative away from them

Not sure what SR is, but BMG - Build My Gallows was supposedly the song that got us done against PSV in 2011. Rangers fans were banned for one away game the following season.

35 minutes ago, 917 said:

Not sure what SR is, but BMG - Build My Gallows was supposedly the song that got us done against PSV in 2011. Rangers fans were banned for one away game the following season.

Thx 917-edited. SR is Super Rangers btw. Just out of interest why was BMG a problem? There is no reference to killing anyone or f@nian is there?

Edited by cooponthewing

6 hours ago, 917 said:

Irish is a legally defined race. I don’t know if you’re based in the UK, but if you fill in eg an application form for a job you will be asked to state your race, & Irish is one of the options. ****** is nowadays generally regarded as a derogatory term for the Irish, whether we like it or not. You might not class it as racism, but then again the people hating blacks, Asians and whatnot probably wouldn’t class words like ‘nigger’ and ‘paki’ as racist either.

The point about religion is more valid as you could justify criticising eg the Pope and the Vatican, however singing songs about burning chapels isn’t really part of a theological debate. That argument just won’t work in 2019.

A quick check actually tells you that Irish may at best be an ethnicity and whoever thought up those documents was using the term "race" quite liberally. 

That said, I made it clear why these songs were deemed offensive or derogatory or whatever, methinks this is actually the first time UEFA fell for a report claiming we sing racist songs. Hence I ask for clarification, not least when it is clear that the BEars do not sing against or about the Irish.

43 minutes ago, compo said:

There's no easy answer to this problem it will take someone with the wisdom of Solomon  

On the contrary, the answer is incredibly simple. The problem is persuading people to implement it.

31 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

A quick check actually tells you that Irish may at best be an ethnicity and whoever thought up those documents was using the term "race" quite liberally. 

That said, I made it clear why these songs were deemed offensive or derogatory or whatever, methinks this is actually the first time UEFA fell for a report claiming we sing racist songs. Hence I ask for clarification, not least when it is clear that the BEars do not sing against or about the Irish.

I think many folk have said that any decent lawyer would tear this stuff apart. The problem is nobody out with the club seems willing to do it? The club can have no part in it, due to UEFA own regulations. We would be thrown out while we challenge their jaundiced findings. So, it would need to be an independent party.

1 hour ago, 917 said:

It wasn't Build My Gallows it was No Pope Of Rome.

1 hour ago, compo said:

There's no easy answer to this problem it will take someone with the wisdom of Solomon  

The answer is very very simple. The board must take action including bans for offending groups and individuals. At the moment 99% of fans will back any action the board decide on, the balls at their feet will they kick it hard enough?

17 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

The answer is very very simple. The board must take action including bans for offending groups and individuals. At the moment 99% of fans will back any action the board decide on, the balls at their feet will they kick it hard enough?

Totally agree BG. It would also be very helpful if the board said don’t sing etc etc. I know everyone should be aware of it, but it would make it clear for everyone and there would be no excuses.

Any songs not about football must be considered a problem.

Gradually over the years since administration the atmosphere at Ibrox has been getting back to 1980s levels. Of course by kicking us out the league they also removed any potential punishment for these songs, as we had nothing left for them to take. The 2015 League Cup semi final was a good example of this. However the club is now back to a level where we do have something to lose, yet this seems to have been kept quiet and taken most of us by surprise. There needs to be a major response by the club & fans, giving up songs yes but also fighting the injustice of collective punishment & highlighting when other clubs fans target our Ulster Scots community. We need a supporters AGM or something. Alternatively we just pull out of Uefa competition altogether and settle for finishing 2nd every season.