Ongoing issues with UEFA (two sanctions and counting)

28 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Is there anyone left in our support who doesn’t think FARE are out to get Rangers? They are working to an agenda set by our enemies.

In 2012 there were individuals & organisations trying to close Rangers down. They haven’t gone away. Some of us need to realise that. 

It doesn't matter.

We need to stop making excuses.

I don't want us to play closed door matches, or get kicked out of the competition, and then have to listen to people moaning "aye but what about celtic and fare?".

43 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

Because they videoed themselves and posted it on social media, aye really!

What hope is there when that's the mentality you're dealing with?

That may well be true however the initial disciplinary procedure wasn't handed down until the Friday after the game in Warsaw. its not really in keeping with the spirit of fair play UEFA wish to instil if they do not allow Rangers to act/resolve that complaint, get our house in order, before charging us again as the complaints consequences were unknown at the time. 

Regardless of what you are saying, and we do need to clean up our act, its starting to seem like a bit of a stitch up.

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

The fans who continue to sing these songs are responsible for all this, they have to stop or we will get kicked out of European football and probably banned!.

I do however feel we are being targeted, how the hell could our fans be heard singing anything against Legia with the noise the home fans were making?.

It was totally clear at the end of the match. I posted it earlier it was loud and clear.

Case of Linfield v UEFA must act as a warning for rogue Rangers fans

Following a UEFA sanction and the resultant partial stadium closure last week, Rangers fans have been outspoken on the future direction of the club.

Yet the club continues to be let down after they notified Rangers fans they will not be accepting away tickets to their next European match after yet another UEFA charge for behaviour against Legia.

The club have made their stance clear – any kind of unacceptable behaviour, sectarian or otherwise, is not welcome at Ibrox.

The sanction has been met with universal disappointment amongst the Rangers support and almost universal agreement that things have got to change.

And for anyone thinking that simply changing the lyrics of banned songs will do the trick – Twitter user @Zeshankenzo has used precedent to explain why that simply won’t work.

In this enlightening thread, the Twitter user discusses what happened when the closely aligned Linfield got themselves into trouble with UEFA for sectarian chanting.

In a nutshell, the Northern Irish club into bother in 2016 for sectarian chanting and defended themselves to the absolute hilt.

Much of their argument – amongst claims of inaudibility – concerned a change in lyrics of the song.

It’s also worth pointing out – slightly different from the case of Rangers 

– Linfield had previously decried “all variations” of the song.

This was held against them by UEFA.

However, despite those claims, UEFA decried that it was in actual fact the message of the song and not the lyrics themselves which matter.

UEFA claimed, “the message linked to this song is obviously sectarian”. The document detailing the case is available on p.15 HERE

Absolutely no variation of this song is acceptable and Rangers will be punished if supporters continue to sing it in UEFA competition.

This only ends one way.

https://www.rangersnews.uk/news/case-of-linfield-v-uefa-must-act-as-a-warning-for-rogue-rangers-fans/

23 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

That may well be true however the initial disciplinary procedure wasn't handed down until the Friday after the game in Warsaw. its not really in keeping with the spirit of fair play UEFA wish to instil if they do not allow Rangers to act/resolve that complaint, get our house in order, before charging us again as the complaints consequences were unknown at the time. 

Regardless of what you are saying, and we do need to clean up our act, its starting to seem like a bit of a stitch up.

Regardless of what I'm saying? :S

I think the final phrase in the link I posted above pretty much defines the situation regardless of who thinks what in terms of how fair or unfair it is.

It's UEFA's game, end of story. We either want to be in European football or we don't. Personally I do and I know the board do.

The phrase I mentioned is "This only ends one way"

I would argue it can actually end two ways. Either compliance with their terms in which case we play in Europe or non compliance in which case we don't.

The club are firefighting just now, however after this week is over we all need to sit down & get to grips with this. Radical measures are required. These measures are basically draconian, but things like:

- over 18s only on European nights. Going by my twitter feed, the young team are determined to keep singing these songs.

- breathalise every fan before entry (up to 3 pints being acceptable)

- only season ticket holders allowed in to European games

- nobody with a criminal record, esp for violence or sectarianism, allowed a season ticket

- an increased hardline, visible club stewarding presence, like nightclub bouncers.

I hope tomorrow we see that self policing and common sense will prevail, even if Ibrox is quieter as a result, but I think the daft young Bears aren’t going to behave. Tomorrow is shaping up as the most important night in the club’s history, regardless of the match!