Ongoing issues with UEFA (two sanctions and counting)

This is very much a head v heart issue for me.

Head says we lost the battle for free use of the word ****** years ago (and I refuse to self-censor that word since they have taken to publically using it to characterise themselves) and that appears to be the offending term at issue whether it be in TBB or Super Rangers.

The regulatory authorities at every level have been coerced to believe it is derogatory to Roman Catholics despite the historical evidence to the contrary. So be it.

Nobody wants to be continually sanctioned by UEFA and I fully support any measure that helps to eliminate any behaviour that endangers our participation.

The club have taken action to discipline some of the offenders, and it is only some, to say BF1 are the only ones to sing “offensively” is clearly drivel, they may be the worst offenders and by sitting collectively are easily identified as a single entity and targeted for punishment but they are not guilty in isolation.

But was this the correct path to take? Is this the route Separate Entity FC would have taken?

No danger, they would have closed a section up in the Gods, had some serious talks with TGBB and thrown them a few bones in return for a promise of good behaviour for a few weeks.

Nevertheless my head says the UB know they have been doing wrong and deserve sanction, but I also believe the club have tackled the issue very clumsily, they should have been making the seriousness of the situation clear to UB some time ago and made the repercussions crystal clear to everyone in that section, then perhaps, we wouldn’t be where we are now.

What does my heart say though? Well to be honest is despairs at the tone of some of the comments in this thread, you would almost get the impression that some of the posters on here are only too happy to turn on their own. Good grief we even have some bringing the UVF into this, that’s dangerous territory and something I would expect more from the likes of Speirs than a Rangers supporter, my Great Uncle was in the UVF and was killed at Ypres in 1917, the day his memory becomes taboo will be when hell freezes over.

The UB are no angels but without them our match day experience would be much the poorer, sure if you sit near them I’m sure the constant noise could become tedious, but without them Ibrox becomes a library.

My heart has some sympathy for the UB, they have done more for the atmosphere at Ibrox in recent years than anyone, and that includes not just the songs but also the displays which they raised funds for themselves and we all enjoyed. They are young lads full of passion for goodness sake, has everyone forgotten what they were like at that age? They need educated not kicked in the balls from fellow bears.

IMO the club have, rightly or wrongly, maybe just given them the kick up the backside they need to wise up and that’s enough for me, I won’t be jumping on the sanctimonious bandwagon to berate fellow Rangers fans on a public platform.

4 hours ago, gaspard said:

They are young lads full of passion for goodness sake, has everyone forgotten what they were like at that age? They need educated not kicked in the balls from fellow bears.

They need educated, exactly. Therefore, Rangers Fan Forums need to do their bit by warning young passionate fans and censor the words that are no longer acceptable to drill the message home that use of the words will only harm the club, whether used at matches or in public social discussions online. 

Gersnet clearly leading by example, good for them. ??

When it comes  to the IRA, the UVF, sectarianism, the mhedia and the "preceived" perception of these groups or F*enian and Hun, the pendulum partlöy swing only in one direction, while partly revolving 360°.

Take the IRA and the green-gray mentality says they are freedom fighters to the core, whether 1917 or 1978, whether they fought for Ireland`s freedom back in 1917 or bomb-blasted British people in Ulster, England or Scotland in the late 20th century. THAT was not sectarian, of course. Even though our songs usually point out against which self-termed F*enians we sing, and they are not the Irish people or Catholics per se. Context matters. But then you sing a song about the UVF and whoosh ... it is sectarian. When most current songs about them come from or refer to the 1915s too (We're coming down the road) ... and the songs actually oftentimes make that pretty clear. But when one supportive song is okay while the other isn't, where is any base for argument? As has been pointed out above, it goes out of the window when you note that "minorities" can have a go at the perceived "oppressors" all along, while the supposed oppressors are not allowed to criticise the "minorities" no matter what?! 

I noted the UB's reply to the club's actions and it was clear as day that the "Ultras" weren't happy that their section was targetted. But honestly, their adherents were probably the most prominent singers of all the naughty songs on away matches and they surely know that. IMHO, it was a shot across the bows.

7 hours ago, gaspard said:

Head says we lost the battle for free use of the word ****** years ago (and I refuse to self-censor that word since they have taken to publically using it to characterise themselves) and that appears to be the offending term at issue whether it be in TBB or Super Rangers.

The regulatory authorities at every level have been coerced to believe it is derogatory to Roman Catholics despite the historical evidence to the contrary. So be it.

The term has been used as a derogatory term for RCs for decades. I've heard it at Ibrox, and in day-to-day life as I'm sure many who live in Glasgow have.

I'm not sure what historical evidence there is to say that it's not used in that way. 

10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Hardly. I despise them but it doesn't occupy me on a daily basis. But, in saying that, Sunday September 28th i'm looking for them to be soundly thrashed and humiliated. Which will all be the fault of that 'hun' McInnes for not 'having a go'

I so dearly wish he would have a go but he knows as well as I do what would happen if they actually tried to play football against Rangers at Ibrox this season.

Have you seen the number of times you have posted in Rangers threads about Aberdeen.... current thread being just one example.....  Self awareness is a terrific trait :thup: