• Filip Helander
    • Borna Barisic
    • Ryan Jack
    • Joe Aribo
    • Glen Kamara
    • Scott Arfield
    • Jordan Jones
    • Jermain Defoe

Looking at the voting so far, I've clearly misunderstood the basic premise of MOTM. If someone can be MOTM for a single kick of the ball over 96 minutes of play, during which he contributed almost nothing, then any of our players and subs could have been MOTM. It goes without saying goals are important, as are goalkeeper saves or key passes or tackles, but surely MOTM is an accolade that should reflect a performance over the breadth of the match and the overall contribution to the team.

Edited by Bill

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

Looking at the voting so far, I've clearly misunderstood the basic premise of MOTM. If someone can be MOTM for a single kick of the ball over 96 minutes of play, during which he contributed almost nothing, then any of our players and subs could have been MOTM. It goes without saying goals are important, as are goalkeeper saves or key passed or tackles, but surely MOTM is an accolade that should reflect a performance over the breadth of the match and the overall contribution to the team.

Yes, I think your definition is fine. However, it was St Mirren we were playing and therefore I’d expect that performance from Jack. He controlled the game, but didn’t do anything spectacular. Borna’s free kick, though, was spectacular and saved our mid-front players’ bacon. He didn’t do anything wrong - quiet but not bad. He did step up when needed and I’m guessing he’s spent a lot of time practicing those and it paid off today - thankfully for all our sakes. To me, that deserved MOTM. ?

1 hour ago, Franc Ergs said:

I missed the second half ,but Tav was pretty ineffective up to that point. He had a better second half then ?

Tav made great crosses all game but no one was there most of the time borna was passing it back all game and barely got a cross in past the first man but it was a fantastic free-kick but one moment does not equal MOTM just my opinion.

Edited by WorthingBear91

I thought Barasic had a solid game throughout, given he was left on his own out on the left for the whole game with nobody helping him. For some reason, obviously tactical from SG, Jones was tucked inside to where there was absolutely no space, and was wholly ineffective. I was crying out for him to go wide (or the anonymous Kamara) and help Barasic all game the same way Arfield & Aribo went out to help Tav on the right. Very strange tactics.

in a game devoid of creativity, the free kick was a piece of pure class and deserving of MOTM on its own.

MOTM is usually given to the player who ensured the win, either through goals or outstanding play. Barasic nailed the former and nobody nailed the latter.

Jack had a good game again, but given how deep Saints sat, he had 60 yards to carry the ball unopposed every time but couldn’t find that one telling pass to open them up. Was never going to be a game for Jones so his inclusion surprised me ahead of Stewart,Hastie & Ojo (didn’t know he had a knock), and I thought we were about to try Morelos and Defoe together before we got the goal. Maybe not!

overall delighted with the 3 points, and we go into the first OF game level and with home advantage, which is exactly what we all wanted when the fixtures came out.

6 hours ago, Frankie said:

Not too many stand outs today if we're honest.

I thought we were fairly solid at the back with Goldson again in good form but as we moved further forward in the team, not enough players looked as if they could unlock St Mirren.

As usual though Ryan Jack controlled the game for us and was by far our more pro-active player.  As such it has to be between him and Barisic (for the goal only) for this week's award.

Goldson did play well but we weren't really challenged defensively to be honest. His build up play has certainly improved. MOTM was again Ryan Jack for me.

3 hours ago, WorthingBear91 said:

Tav made great crosses all game but no one was there most of the time borna was passing it back all game and barely got a cross in past the first man but it was a fantastic free-kick but one moment does not equal MOTM just my opinion.

Tav may well have made some great crosses ,though they're really not that great unless there is a teammate on the other end of them ,but from what i saw, he was dispossessed a fair bit, and in general ,looked well off his best.

The Barisic goal was the 'One moment" that won us the game.

Edited by Franc Ergs

2 hours ago, Franc Ergs said:

Tav may well have made some great crosses ,though they're really not that great unless there is a teammate on the other end of them ,but from what i saw, he was dispossessed a fair bit, and in general ,looked well off his best.

The Barisic goal was the 'One moment" that won us the game.

So Tav shouldn't put great crosses into the box unless a someone is on the end of it????

I put Defoe. He worked tirelessly but was hounded with 3 or 4 around him every time he got the ball, yet he was still creating chances, on another day he would have scored 3. That from a 36 / 37 year old.