Boris to suspend parliament

Prime Minister Boris Johnson defends the decision, saying it is "completely untrue" that suspending Parliament is undemocratic.

"If you look at what we are doing we are bringing through a new legislative programme for a domestic agenda," he says.

"There will be ample time on both sides of the crucial EU summit on 17 October for MPs to debate the EU and Brexit," he says.

17 minutes ago, stewarty said:

So this was his plan all along?  

Can't say I'm surprised.   

Now lets see if the Tory MPs against no deal are prepared to put their principles before their party.

Think I can answer that  - no. All this talk of getting sovereignty back and they will then try to fill the Lords with acolytes. UK is going to hell in a handcart.

Edited by alexscottislegend

The dishonesty of suggesting this is about "resetting" parliament and establishing a domestic policy agenda is laughable.  At least just come out and say:  the uncertainty is killing us, this is the best way to guarantee that we can implement the 2016 vote by 31st October, we are going to ram this through and move on.

I would have far more respect for that as a stance, even though I don't agree.

13 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

giphy.gif

Aye, you deal with shortage of medicines, empty shelves, earthquakes due to fracking and no way to challenge those in power. If you think EU was dictatorial just wait till you see the Boris and Farage show. 

Edited by alexscottislegend

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Aye, you deal with shortage of medicines, empty shelves, earthquakes due to fracking and no way to challenge those in power. If you thin EU was dictatorial just wait till you see the Boris and Farage show. 

Think you forgot WORLD WAR 3.

Edited by ranger_syntax

19 minutes ago, stewarty said:

The dishonesty of suggesting this is about "resetting" parliament and establishing a domestic policy agenda is laughable.  At least just come out and say:  the uncertainty is killing us, this is the best way to guarantee that we can implement the 2016 vote by 31st October, we are going to ram this through and move on.

I would have far more respect for that as a stance, even though I don't agree.

Don't think that the government cares what you respect.

There are about 17.5 million ordinary, decent, people to back him up. :)

2 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Don't think that the government cares what you respect.

There are about 17.5 million ordinary, decent, people to back him up. :)

I think its pretty clear that is true.   But its also pretty clear that 17.5m people did not vote for no deal or the circumvention of parliamentary soveireignty.  

Edited by stewarty

House of Commons Speaker John Bercow responds to the PM's statement: “I have had no contact from the government, but if the reports that it is seeking to prorogue Parliament are confirmed, this move represents a constitutional outrage.

“However it is dressed up, it is blindingly obvious that the purpose of prorogation now would be to stop Parliament debating Brexit and performing its duty in shaping a course for the country," he says.