Boris to suspend parliament

The idea that 22 Tory rebels are going to risk their lucrative careers and self-important positions to stop a no-deal Brexit is as likely as the moon falling from the sky. Johnson has them by the balls and the squeeze is on. Whatever the outcome I can't see these self-servers dictating the future. Parliament (both of them) is full of the weak and the conceited.

51 minutes ago, stewarty said:

I thought he struck a reasoned tone that many have failed to.  And pretty much nailed the situation as it stands 

I don't doubt he is reasoned as his was the UK's chief bureaucrat in Europe. I just think he is over pessimist. Yes i want a good deal, but to get it we need a resolute and united in the national interest parliament - something which has eluded our current incumbents, through a combination of incompetence and self interest. 

3 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Yes Sir Ivan Rogers, still smarting from having to give up his cushy £170k per year civil service role. His is one view among many. 

Setting aside your opinion of the author for a moment, which parts of that article do you think he's got wrong, and why?

44 minutes ago, Thinker said:

Setting aside your opinion of the author for a moment, which parts of that article do you think he's got wrong, and why?

I read the article in the Spectator earlier today and the piece is a rehash of an earlier piece that was published in the national press. There is no evidence that we will have lower volumes of trade with the Continent than we have now. Each business, be it wine producers, car manufacturers or produce suppliers can ill afford not to trade similar volumes with Europe's second largest economy at a time when most of the EU counties are entering recession. The tax implications he talks about are presumably corporation tax, and this will only change IF companies move their HQ, which hasn't been the case and isn't a problem if firms just open up an office on the continent. Corporation tax ebbs and flow as companies get bought out like Cadburys and Boots and their HQs move to wherever their parent company is based. This is business as normal. There are many more pessimistic worse case scenario elements, but i would expect nothing else from our former man in the EU. 

I also take heart from the economists who espouse the alternate view that this will be an opportunity for the country and listen to people who are at the top in business, such as the chairman/CEOs of JCB, Next, Wetherspoons, Dyson, Aston Martin, Legal & General and Sir Jim Ratcliffe (Britain's richest person) to name but a few who view this as an opportunity for Britain.

So, can you tell me what about the article he has got right and why?