Boris to suspend parliament

1 hour ago, Bill said:

The "people" certainly did know what they were voting for - to leave and that should have happened six months ago. Having made that decision, it was up to parliament to decide how we left, something they have singularly failed to do. The current mess is one made in Westminster and it's a damned cheek to suggest it's somehow the fault of an ignorant electorate. It's clear to me that if parliament cannot agree and negotiate a deal, we have to leave without one and parliament has to deal with their own failure.

However they dress it up, demanding a second referendum is the action of sore losers, nothing else. Many in parliament have spent the last three years actively pursuing a means of remaining in the EU and now we're all going to have to live with the result of their conniving on behalf of the EU, to whom it looks very like they've given their allegiance.

Agree the mess has been made by Westminster because had May gone through a proper process, she would have triggered article 50 once she had lined up the UK negotiating position by gaining consensus across the house.  She singularly failed to do that and the mess she left, left the tories opened up to chancers like Johnson.

and you simply can’t say that people voted to leave with no deal because it was not what was proposed.   It’s not even arguable, unless you ignore all the evidence which proves otherwise.  

So I can’t agree that just because I don’t agree with brexit that I’m a sore loser.  I and many like me not accepting the worst of all brexit outcomes because of the failure of parliament isn’t sufficient reason to leave without a deal.   Any responsible government would not have allowed this situation to happen. 

If Brexit doesn’t happen, blame may and the tories - for it is they who scuppered it. 

But fear not, rise up the brexit party and gain power at Westminster With the clear policy of enacting article 50 and leaving with no deal... then they can make it so and nobody could argue it wasn’t clear 

49 minutes ago, stewarty said:

and you simply can’t say that people voted to leave with no deal because it was not what was proposed.   It’s not even arguable, unless you ignore all the evidence which proves otherwise.  

448598.jpg

That's what was proposed, absolutely f*&k all to do with deal or no deal, hard or soft Brexit, backstops Customs Unions etc...etc

All this taking "No Deal" off the table isn't about stopping a No Deal Brexit it's about stopping Brexit period.

6 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

448598.jpg

That's what was proposed, absolutely f*&k all to do with deal or no deal, hard or soft Brexit, backstops Customs Unions etc...etc

All this taking "No Deal" off the table isn't about stopping a No Deal Brexit it's about stopping Brexit period.

Agreed.  And quite right too.  

6 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

448598.jpg

Aye, it has been massaged and polluted to suit the agenda of the liberal elite who will do anything to remain. On another note; once Boris takes the UK out of Europe and gets his 50+ majority, I fully expect it to be open season on nippy, and every one of her republican cohorts!

11 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Aye, it has been massaged and polluted to suit the agenda of the liberal elite who will do anything to remain. On another note; once Boris takes the UK out of Europe and gets his 50+ majority, I fully expect it to be open season on nippy, and every one of her republican cohorts!

And as night follows day when that happens you can be sure the SNP will spawn its very own version of the IRA and the cycle of history will repeat itself in our back yard. 

The droning Scots given a singing lesson by half a dozen Welsh MPs.

But seriously, what embarrassing behaviour by many opposition members last night egged on of course by the egomaniac in the Speaker’s chair. Bercow needs to look at Betty Boothroyd for an example to follow.

20 hours ago, stewarty said:

What I reckon should happen is:

1. Extend article 50 till the end of the year.

2. Call a second referendum and ask the people:  is this what you really want?

3.  If yes, we leave and its a new dawn from 1st January

4.  If no, revoke article 50.

5.  Call a General Election and a new government is elected with a fresh mandate to get on with governing.

However, if 1 is debateable in terms of whether Johnson will defy the legislation going through the house, and 2 seems to be unthinkable for many, then 3 and 4 don't matter.

If we go straight to a general election (5) then it will be a re-run of the referendum by proxy, with all the lack of clarity that may or may not bring.  

There is a good parallel here with trade union procedures. If they have a big mandate for industrial action and take it then negotiate a deal with the employer, then it has to go back to the members for ratification - even if they recommend acceptance.