[FT] Rangers 1 - 0 Legia (Morelos 90+1)

• Frankie changed the title to Mission Possible: Rangers v Legia Warsaw
5 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I'll be surprised if it isn't the same team that started the game in Warsaw.

I'm pretty much playing devil's advocate with my selection above and that's mainly down to a few things:

1.  We need goals so I'm unconvinced Flanagan is the best option at left back.  However, neither do we need to be gung ho so I suspect Flanagan will start.

2.  Scott Arfield hasn't really done enough lately for me and looks knackered after a long summer.  I'd like to keep him for Sunday.

3.  Joe Aribo has played the last two games: hardly the most difficult physical task in football but I do wonder if he'd be better used further forward to get the best from him - especially if Barisic does play.

4 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I'll be surprised if it isn't the same team that started the game in Warsaw.

Have  to agree with that. We have great options, something SG wanted and has got. It will be tight, we will have to be patient, but we are capable of seeing this out and into the next round. JJ might just get the nod ahead of Ojo

Edited by ian1964

Just now, Frankie said:

I'm pretty much playing devil's advocate with my selection above and that's mainly down to a few things:

1.  We need goals so I'm unconvinced Flanagan is the best option at left back.  However, neither do we need to be gung ho.

2.  Scott Arfield hasn't really done enough lately for me and looks knackered after a long summer.  I'd like to keep him for Sunday.

3.  Joe Aribo has played the last two games: hardly the most difficult physical task in football but I do wonder if he'd be better used further forward to get the best from him - especially if Barisic does play.

1. Not losing an away goal is more important so Gerrard starts with Flanagan.

2. We're not good enough to rest players in a crucial game like this. I agree to an extent about Arfield but he did set up Defoe in the best chance of the game on Sunday and Aribo is unproven for us in the role behind the strikers. Sunday will take care of itself, but I'd guess Gerrard looks on tonight as more important so Arfield starts.

3. He hasn't but then again Kamara hasn't looked great either, and Aribo has that little bit extra that could create a goal.

10 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

1. Not losing an away goal is more important so Gerrard starts with Flanagan.

2. We're not good enough to rest players in a crucial game like this. I agree to an extent about Arfield but he did set up Defoe in the best chance of the game on Sunday and Aribo is unproven for us in the role behind the strikers. Sunday will take care of itself, but I'd guess Gerrard looks on tonight as more important so Arfield starts.

3. He hasn't but then again Kamara hasn't looked great either, and Aribo has that little bit extra that could create a goal.

If I'm honest, I think Legia will score tonight so I think we'll need at least two goals.  

I'm entirely comfortable starting Flanagan but part of me thinks, let's just cut out the middle-man and get on with the most important part of scoring the goals that will win the tie.  I don't fancy being overly cagey and playing for penalties via too much angst about losing a goal.

The midfield balance will be crucial and I'm not saying we're good enough to rest players but that we're not good enough to accommodate tired ones that aren't doing enough over 90mins.  With that in mind, I think Arfield might be better from the bench tonight with Kamara used as an extra cover for the full-backs but that also goes against my middle-man argument above.  

I don't envy the manager that's for sure! :D

Great preview @Frankieand I think we're all buzzing for tonight's game.

Im really happy with Flanagan on the left.  Given my ongoing concern around the balance on the left hand side I'm only too happy to make sure we keep it safe there.  The combination of Barisic and Ojo doesn't give me any comfort defensively and I think we need to be at our best at he back to go through.  I also accept we are likely to lose a goal.  If we lose one I think we still go through, but if we lose two I'm fairly certain we are out.

The team therefore will be unchanged from last week and I'm happy with that.  It's also probably the team that will take on Celtic but we should be resting no one.  This game is more important than the one on Sunday.  We need the win, we need European football, and we need the money.

Come on the Gers.

A fine preview.

The midfield personnel is the key to both game and tie. We must control the tempo of the match. I agree with Frankie's midfield selection.

Reference left back, I don't know. Both Barisic and Flanagan have their merits. I noted Legia played the diagonal switch last week on several occasions. Barisic has a habit of being caught by that particular ball. Flanagan is the better defender, but his reliance on his right foot ............../

One thing, when Legia defeated ra Sellik 0-2, it was at Murrayfield.

Edited by 26th of foot

Also for those watching the match on TV/online, keep checking the RangersTV Twitter account ahead of kick off (7.45pm tonight):

https://twitter.com/RangersTV

Tonight's match is exclusively live on RangersTV. With demand expected to be high, we encourage users to purchase the game as early as possible, login will be available 1 hour before kick-off to enjoy the best experience.

Alternative match video link address: https://t.co/ZO0i42mTvq?amp=1