54 minutes ago, compo said:

I just wish we could have kept or bought young Kent but we just cant afford to spend decent money on players .

It's a true saying you only get what you pay for .

Kent mostly played wide left last season. We seem to have recruited two players to replace him this season in that role i.e. Jones & Barker.

Are either of them as good as or better than Kent?

Don’t think so

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some activity tomorrow. In and out.

The way ahead now is to win the League Cup, qualify for the EL last 32 & still be within touching distance with celtic in the league before we go to Parkhead at Xmas. I suspect we will play them at Hampden again before then though. That will be a massive game. If we haven’t improved by then, it really can’t be dismissed as a bad day at the office..

27 minutes ago, 917 said:

The way ahead now is to win the League Cup, qualify for the EL last 32 & still be within touching distance with celtic in the league before we go to Parkhead at Xmas. I suspect we will play them at Hampden again before then though. That will be a massive game. If we haven’t improved by then, it really can’t be dismissed as a bad day at the office..

I think we’ll be trying to offload players only. Can’t see any more arrivals.

Nope..perhaps we bit off more than we deserved to use a phrase. We just werent at the races, perhaps being favourites played on too many minds?? We are definitely better than our showing. Its all about rising about it and showing it. We go to Parkhead next time and turn up. 

11 hours ago, 917 said:

11 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I think we’ll be trying to offload players only. Can’t see any more arrivals.

The manager stated that arrivals are unlikely.

I just don't see the need to panic after that at all.  I thought Celtic were average at best but showed real fight.  We had 8 or 9 players having an off day, and only two players (Davis and Flanagan) showing any desire, coupled with a poor tactical move by the gaffer.  These players are good enough, as is the management team, and notwithstanding my ongoing concern about balance on the left hand side, we can win this league.  What the gaffer needs to do now though is to demonstrate that these performances are not acceptable.  He could do that by dropping Goldson, Aribo and Jones.  They shouldn't be made scapegoats, but all three were either clearly too lackadaisical or exhibiting behaviour that should not be tolerated (as in the case of Jones).  Goldson and Aribo will get back to their best, but for now they need to be taught a lesson.  I'd perhaps give Aribo more leeway given that it was his first old firm game, but he'll need to be sharper than that in Europe too.

I don't see any reason to panic.  We played crap, it happens.  The manager picked the wrong team and system, it happens.

However, what we do need to see is acknowledgement from the manager and players that the level of performance wasn't good enough.  Gerrard also has to ask himself why he was so cagey in his selection.  I can understand keeping it tight but I cannot understand completely limiting our attacking play and relying again on Aribo and Arfield who have looked jaded in the last few games.

The narrow formation is fair enough but Barisic should have been the left back in that system to provide width and take the onus of an off-form Tavernier.  Instead we went with Flanagan who doesn't offer attacking option so Celtic were able to leave him unmarked and, thus, dominate midfield.  Funny thing is, they were still crap and overly defensive themselves and only a crazy passage of play from us (firstly Goldson giving the ball away, then Katic stepping out instead of back) conceded a bizarre opening goal.

After that we lacked ideas and imagination.  Morelos should have been on quicker and Ojo was less than convincing again: the lad is far too passive and doesn't seem capable of making the right decisions when he does get on the ball.  Again, we seem to have stockpiled attacking/wide players but the manager doesn't seem to know whom he trusts out of them.

All in all, it's our first defeat so not the end of the world.  At the same time though, we do need to offer criticism and see substantial improvement against Livi a week on Saturday.