5 hours ago, Gribz said:

I read somewhere he would be able to play for Scotland having lived there 5 years.

Its only related to someone who has gone to school in Scotland for 5 years so really you would need to be in Scotland from age 12, maybe 13 max, and even then only qualify once you are 18.   The reason I say that is because I've heard Gordon Smith mention it about his time as SFA CEO and how he brought this rule in.

4 hours ago, stewarty said:

Its only related to someone who has gone to school in Scotland for 5 years so really you would need to be in Scotland from age 12, maybe 13 max, and even then only qualify once you are 18.   The reason I say that is because I've heard Gordon Smith mention it about his time as SFA CEO and how he brought this rule in.

It should be kept simple by only allowing players to play for the country they were born in , not because your granny's Irish or any other nationality. 

Just now, compo said:

It should be kept simple by only allowing players to play for the country they were born in , not because your granny's Irish or any other nationality. 

Ordinarily I would agree, but I think the extension to kids who have spent 5 years at school here and are in effect, naturalised Scots, I'm okay with that if they are willing to commit to playing for us.

Many other nations have much less stringent rules and give out passports to suit their needs.  I have more issue with those

1 minute ago, stewarty said:

Ordinarily I would agree, but I think the extension to kids who have spent 5 years at school here and are in effect, naturalised Scots, I'm okay with that if they are willing to commit to playing for us.

Many other nations have much less stringent rules and give out passports to suit their needs.  I have more issue with those

I am nearly 80 years here and still count myself as English because I was born in Aldershot .

7 minutes ago, compo said:

I am nearly 80 years here and still count myself as English because I was born in Aldershot .

Its for each individual to identify how they wish, really.

There is an interesting one coming up with a 17yo on our books, Murray Miller, being invited to train with Australia and is potentially going to be called up to one of their squads.   He has played age groups for Scotland up till now, but qualifies for Oz having been born there.

Its down to the boy himself what he chooses.  I think he has Scottish parents who moved back from Oz, so you can see why he might identify as both Scottish and Australian.

22 hours ago, stewarty said:

He doesn't qualify for Scotland I don't think.

Pretty sure the only way you can become naturalised is if you went to school for a period of years in Scotland - I think it might be 5.

I don’t understand these rules. Russian RB Fernandes is a Brazilian who took out Russian citizenship & now plays for the national team. 

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

I don’t understand these rules. Russian RB Fernandes is a Brazilian who took out Russian citizenship & now plays for the national team. 

As far as I understand, each FA is able to set their own rules to an extent.  So long as you haven't got a full cap for another country, you can become a citizen of Mongolia and play for their national team, should their FA allow it.

The difficulty we have in Scotland is related to the unique status of the home nations within the UK.  Because from a state point of view, we all have British passports so there would be nothing to stop Scots, Welsh and NI players representing England, unless there was some restriction.

I'm sure someone else could give a clearer explanation, but that is the gist of it I think.  And as I say above, the element about younger players having 5 years of schooling in Scotland becoming eligible to play in Scotland, is to do with Gordon Smith.   This is the route that Jordan Rhodes took to qualifying to play for Scotland.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard on a show earlier the next two matches v San Marino and Kazak are being played at Hampden. That is tragic. Id be stunned if more than 12000 turn up for the San Marino game. how can they expect to make money on that and how can that give the team confidence when playing in an empty stadium.

SFA and plonks...just switch it to Rugby Park, Tynecastle or Easter Road and get a almost full house.

The squad has potential it doesnt need let down by playing in reserve attendances.

Lampard said Gilmour was MOTM other night for Chelsea - throw him in for Scotland

6 hours ago, Gribz said:

Heard on a show earlier the next two matches v San Marino and Kazak are being played at Hampden. That is tragic. Id be stunned if more than 12000 turn up for the San Marino game. how can they expect to make money on that and how can that give the team confidence when playing in an empty stadium.

SFA and plonks...just switch it to Rugby Park, Tynecastle or Easter Road and get a almost full house.

The squad has potential it doesnt need let down by playing in reserve attendances.

Lampard said Gilmour was MOTM other night for Chelsea - throw him in for Scotland

It's a great idea to take these matches elsewhere.

I bet there are loads of Scotland fans who would like the match to be played somewhere like Perth.

I think McDairmid park has a capacity of  about10,000.