Steven Davis becomes NI's most capped outfield player

• Frankie changed the title to Steven Davis becomes NI's most capped outfield player

I watched the 2nd half of the NI v Germany match last night. In the half I saw Germany were the better side, they played some lovely football and could have scored more. I believe NI could have scored in the 1st half though I didn't see that. What was striking though was that Northern Ireland really gave them a game. NI should have scored themselves in the 2nd half and they didn't stop pushing and attacking until the very end. Now Germany had the better players and, in my opinion, deserved their victory, but they knew they'd been in a match and had NI got an equaliser you wouldn't have put scoring a winner past them because they had some momentum and were very clearly 'up for it'. 

The Northern Ireland side has no real stars in it, I mean they don't have a Gareth Bale type player. Their second half subs were the guy McGennis who used to play for Aberdeen and Kilmarnock and a lad from Linfield. Yet they were still able to give Germany a proper match. Northern Ireland support might have left disappointed by the result last night but they won't have complained about the effort or desire on show. I had the misfortune of watching the Scotland v Russia match on Friday. The difference in style, attitude and application was stark. Indeed the difference in support too. The gradual demise of Scottish football is a thread all of it's own, but the inability of Scotland to put out a side that will at least compete and challenge a better side is a disgrace that nothing can excuse. 

12 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I watched the 2nd half of the NI v Germany match last night. In the half I saw Germany were the better side, they played some lovely football and could have scored more. I believe NI could have scored in the 1st half though I didn't see that. What was striking though was that Northern Ireland really gave them a game. NI should have scored themselves in the 2nd half and they didn't stop pushing and attacking until the very end. Now Germany had the better players and, in my opinion, deserved their victory, but they knew they'd been in a match and had NI got an equaliser you wouldn't have put scoring a winner past them because they had some momentum and were very clearly 'up for it'. 

The Northern Ireland side has no real stars in it, I mean they don't have a Gareth Bale type player. Their second half subs were the guy McGennis who used to play for Aberdeen and Kilmarnock and a lad from Linfield. Yet they were still able to give Germany a proper match. Northern Ireland support might have left disappointed by the result last night but they won't have complained about the effort or desire on show. I had the misfortune of watching the Scotland v Russia match on Friday. The difference in style, attitude and application was stark. Indeed the difference in support too. The gradual demise of Scottish football is a thread all of it's own, but the inability of Scotland to put out a side that will at least compete and challenge a better side is a disgrace that nothing can excuse. 

That’s what a good manager & realistic expectations can lead to. Having said that, Scotland still have a much better chance of getting to the finals than NI..