Post-Independence Tax Regime

Despite the whining denials of ScotNats, desperate to maintain a semblance of credibility, it's beyond obvious an independent Scottish government would have two options for avoiding rampant national debt and economic collapse.

1. Plant more money trees

2. Decimate public services and impose draconian taxation

As they scrape away at the edges of this abyss we can already see the deterioration of our public services on all fronts and the beginnings of an inevitable tax assault on our wealth. Taxing parking spaces at work might be irritating for some and will certainly bring hardship to others but I think it is only a precursor to a very bleak future if the Nat's ever get their way.

We hear rumblings about a tourist tax and local income taxes and I wondered what else you think will be used to prop up their impossible financial equation ... a tax on being English, a Toaree Tax, doubling fuel duty ... or what?

On 11/09/2019 at 09:04, Bill said:

We hear rumblings about a tourist tax and local income taxes and I wondered what else you think will be used to prop up their impossible financial equation ... a tax on being English, a Toaree Tax, doubling fuel duty ... or what?

I think it likely that high earners will continue to be penalised.

It will all end badly though.

It is far too easy for high earners to go live and work in England.

2 hours ago, compo said:

If this little country gained independence it would have to go cap in hand to the EC if they let them join which I think they would just to spite the UK government , but at what price would the bailout have .

This little country comment sums up the unionist argument, too wee, too poor, too stupid. How do all the other little nations of Europe survive? Or is scotland the only one incapable of governing itself?

41 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

This little country comment sums up the unionist argument, too wee, too poor, too stupid. How do all the other little nations of Europe survive? Or is scotland the only one incapable of governing itself?

It's probably capable but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a significant increase in taxes as highlighted in the OP.

We've seen it already where I'm paying a 4 figure sum more than if I lived elsewhere in the UK, and a couple of years ago it was a 5 figure sum.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

It's probably capable but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a significant increase in taxes as highlighted in the OP.

We've seen it already where I'm paying a 4 figure sum more than if I lived elsewhere in the UK, and a couple of years ago it was a 5 figure sum.

Yes I pay more on my income than I would in England but I  get more in return. What we pay in tax, and other policies will all depend on who we elect as a government.