Post-Independence Tax Regime

45 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

Yes I pay more on my income than I would in England but I  get more in return. What we pay in tax, and other policies will all depend on who we elect as a government.

No, it will depend on the size of the financial abyss we find ourselves in. Goops sorry .... that you find yourself in ?

I’d predict any new government in an independent Scotland would collapse within 12-18 months.

In order to maintain current public spending levels eye -watering tax increases would be necessary which would drive businesses & high earners away many to much lower-taxed rUK.

And don’t forget the SNP’s recently published Growth Commission Report suggested austerity would be around for 10 years or so post independence. 

I never did understand the appeal of independence. Only appealed to the face-painters, flag-wavers and brigadooners. People who live & work in the real world would be worse off.

On 12/09/2019 at 14:34, BEARGER said:

Or is scotland the only one incapable of governing itself?

Scotland is capable of governing itself like anywhere else.

The only problem is that almost all separatists think it will lead to more public spending.

All of the available evidence suggests the opposite.

This little country comment sums up the unionist argument, too wee, too poor, too stupid. How do all the other little nations of Europe survive? Or is scotland the only one incapable of governing itself?

They survive with massive handouts from the EU. Circa 394bn has so far been pumped into Greece and only about 6 of the EU are net contributors to the EU coffers.

29 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

They survive with massive handouts from the EU. Circa 394bn has so far been pumped into Greece and only about 6 of the EU are net contributors to the EU coffers.

I make it 10 including some wee nations. Don’t get your point, that’s the EU system.

Or is scotland the only one incapable of governing itself?

Yes they are running shit scared of Brexit in case it severely reduces immigration as the birth-rate here is not enough and a high rate is needed to keep receiving the monies from the exchequer.

On 12/09/2019 at 17:03, BEARGER said:

Yes I pay more on my income than I would in England but I  get more in return. What we pay in tax, and other policies will all depend on who we elect as a government.

What do you get in return?  NHS waiting lists are as long, education standards heading south insufficient police and not enough care for the elderly.  I’d rather pay uk levels of tax and leave The crazy secessionists to live rough and proclaim their ‘freedom’.  

Time the pointless council chamber in Edinburgh was shut and the money saved invested elsewhere.  

The fiscal deficit at the moment is huge and together with loss of the Westminster money via the Barnett formula and a chunk of UK debt an independent Scotland would have to take on, it will take years for Scotland to be considered for EU membership as we currently do not meet the financial tests and will move further away from them. 

EU cash won't bail out the SNP/SG.