Mark Allen to leave as DoF

Friday, 13 September 2019, 20:00

by Rangers Football Club

HAVING been instrumental in successfully revamping the football department, Rangers Football Club can announce that Director of Football Mark Allen has informed them he is to leave the club.

Mark has decided that now is the right time for him to move on for family reasons and in order to explore other options, and leaves with the clubs best wishes.

Rangers fully respects Mark’s decision and wishes to place on record its thanks to Mark for his hard work and diligence since joining the Club in the summer of 2017. In that short time he has helped move Rangers into a significantly stronger and more challenging position.

During his tenure, Mark has made a hugely positive impact in bringing in a higher quality of first-team player and he has led the renovation and improvement of the Hummel Training Centre, making it fit for a club the size of Rangers.

Managing Director Stewart Robertson commented: “On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank Mark for his work in recent seasons. We are disappointed to lose him but we appreciate the impact he made during his time in Scotland and he leaves Rangers in a better place than when he first arrived. Losing a man of his calibre is a blow but the practices he put in place at the club will stand us in good stead for the future. We wish Mark well in his future career.”

Mark Allen said: “It has been a privilege to work for Rangers, one of the biggest clubs in football with such a phenomenal fan base, and I’ve loved every minute. Bringing Steven Gerrard to the club will always be a special point in my career and I would like to thank him, his excellent staff, the players and all the staff at Rangers for their support throughout my tenure. My greatest wish is for Rangers to start winning trophies again and I wish them all the very best for the future”

Steven Gerrard said: “I would like to place on record my sincere gratitude to Mark for the incredible support he has shown to me and all of my staff since I came to the club 16 months ago. Mark’s success here is evident for all to see and we would all like to wish him well moving forward.”

Of course, if part of his remit was to sell players then he didn’t do so well. Or maybe he would have got a cut of any fees for eg Morelos, & wasn’t happy we never sold him. Its all pointless speculation, but be interesting to see where he goes next..

35 minutes ago, pete said:

Since we are speculating there were a lot of rumours that all was not great between Allen and Gerrard. It was said Gerrard was pissed off at some of the signings he made.

Do you think the DOF will now get binned and SG to directly go for players he thinks are required?

Without stoking the fires of rumour any further than they already have been elsewhere, it would seem that it's a toss up between going to Man Utd and underperforming with the signing policy.

On the face of things it seems like a blow. It'll be interesting to see where the club turn to next after the dust settles.

Edited by Soulsonic5791

1 hour ago, 917 said:

Not all his signings were great, but overall this is a blow. The statement seems to confirm there are no ill wishes. Still, there was a time when managers used to sign players themselves..

1 hour ago, 917 said:

Of course, if part of his remit was to sell players then he didn’t do so well. Or maybe he would have got a cut of any fees for eg Morelos, & wasn’t happy we never sold him. Its all pointless speculation, but be interesting to see where he goes next..

Can't believe this thread reeks already.