Fernando Ricksen has passed away

29 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

The minutes silence was impeccable from both sets of fans but the ref was a bit unthoughtful when he waved play to start whilst both teams were joining in with the minutes applause in the 2nd minute as the ball was out of play but fair play to the Feyenord players for their gesture.

The ref allowed the players to join in the applause for 15-20 seconds and I think he even joined in briefly. I thought the ref was great in that respect and that was all that was required at that point. 

As is right and proper, a minutes silence was perfectly well observed to note the passing of a former player.

I don’t get, and will never join in, this minutes applause nonsense. And as for stopping the game to join in, what a lot of tosh. Get on with it!

Clapping because someone one has died is extremely distasteful in my opinion, and I will never be able to bring myself to applaud someone’s death. 

I heard sporadic clapping on the 17 minute mark on Saturday as well and was later told a 17 year old fan had died. While that again is dreadful to hear about, clapping in the middle of a game is not the time nor place nor way that this should be noted. With our worldwide fanbase we could be clapping every minute of every game for Bears who have died, where does it end?

I am delighted to hear the club will be picking up the tab for Fernandos funeral, one less thing for his family to worry about during this awful time.

1 minute ago, Tannochsidebear said:

As is right and proper, a minutes silence was perfectly well observed to note the passing of a former player.

I don’t get, and will never join in, this minutes applause nonsense. And as for stopping the game to join in, what a lot of tosh. Get on with it!

Clapping because someone one has died is extremely distasteful in my opinion, and I will never be able to bring myself to applaud someone’s death. 

I heard sporadic clapping on the 17 minute mark on Saturday as well and was later told a 17 year old fan had died. While that again is dreadful to hear about, clapping in the middle of a game is not the time nor place nor way that this should be noted. With our worldwide fanbase we could be clapping every minute of every game for Bears who have died, where does it end?

I am delighted to hear the club will be picking up the tab for Fernandos funeral, one less thing for his family to worry about during this awful time.

I don't like minutes applause and don't participate either.

Happy for other people to do it though.

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Great gesture by the club to pay for the funeral since I have been reading that his wife has money problems.

Agree as Fernando would never have earned as much as present day players and no doubting that the fees needed to fund his stay in the hospice would have caused exceptional hardship.