RANGERS could miss out on another top signing target after a £1million bid for Carlos Cuellar was dismissed as laughable by Osasuna.

The Spaniards have demanded the Ibrox club almost TREBLE their original offer if they are to have any chance of landing one of La Liga's most trusted central defenders.

Now Walter Smith has been left sweating on the deal after already seeing top target Scott Brown sign for Celtic and the Parkhead club attempt to hijack his move for Kilmarnock's Steven Naismith.

But the manager has been boosted by the news Rangers have agreed a fee of around £700,000 for PSV Eindhoven winger DaMarcus Beasley.

Record Sport understands Smith has been granted permission to open contract talks with the 25-year-old USA international and those discussions could take place in the next 48 hours.

Beasley is playing for his nation in the Gold Cup but, with the Americans already qualified for the quarter-finals, he hopes to be granted leave this week.

Advertisement

That would allow Beasley to meet Smith, who is on holiday in the States, for face-to-face talks and Rangers expect to have a deal in place by early next week at the latest. But Smith's attempts to land Cuellar appear to be far more complicated after his bid for the player was rejected and ridiculed by Osasuna.

Sources in Pamplona have revealed that an offer of £1m has already been thrown out and an insider said: "It's been made very clear to Rangers that this kind of money is not acceptable.

"They have been told to come back with an offer nearer £2.7m or forget about doing business. We understand the player would like to play in Glasgow but no deal will be done unless Rangers are prepared to make a serious offer."

Beasley was a good player a few seasons back but has been poor the last few

Thoughts ???

Whos responsible for the amount we offer for players? Is this Murray or Bain?

It seems Beasley is the only player we've managed to tie up on the cheap but by going with Pete says is coz PSV are offering him away.

I for one am not too bothered that DM does not just cough up over-inflated fees.

Brown was well overpriced at 4.4M, especially on our budget and I wouldn't want us to pay 2.7M for Cuellar.

The only embarrassing one has been Naismith. We should be starting at about 1M plus add ons with him.

The lower your starting offer the more the bargaining power, but derisory offers can make the selling chairmen more determined to get top whack, and I don't think the Rangers board have been prudent there.

If Naismith was easily worth 1.7M then Celtic or an English team would have been straight in and snapped him up. Obviously they are hanging around to see if they can get him on the cheap at the last minute ie if Rangers drag their heals with say 800k, Celtic could jump in on deadline day with 1M.

Their registering an interest is just so Kilmarnock will tell them of any bids so they can decide whether to trump it or not.

Rangers were just as hard ball when signing Sebo, Papac and Svensson - and thank goodness they were or they'll all be an even bigger waste of money.

In fact those three pretty much demonstrate how clubs are DEFINITELY being just as embarrassing with their demands.

Papac is little more than a squad player right now as is Svensson, however they are both our most expensive defenders...

Papac is definitely not worth very much and we were held to ransom by AV.

I disagree slightly about Papac Calscot. I think he showed a few promising signs in the last few games of the season. As for the rest of the AV plaeyers(Sebo Sionko) go knows what PLG was thinking when he signed them. " mill for a so called stiker who runs about like a daft wee laddie most of the time

I disagree slightly about Papac Calscot. I think he showed a few promising signs in the last few games of the season. As for the rest of the AV plaeyers(Sebo Sionko) go knows what PLG was thinking when he signed them. " mill for a so called stiker who runs about like a daft wee laddie most of the time

I think we should keep Sebo as a mascot. Some teams walk on with a goat so why shouldn't we.:D

Just kidding(excuse the pun) i would love the big man to turn things around but i think he is just too hectic to ever be a good player.

Papac has been ok of late and has shown he can be quite useful as CH cover and he did fine at LB.

As for Sebo, he must stay and PLAY so he can prove everyone wrong. I still think him and Buffel can still do the business for us. Those 2 are the sort we need to play upfront on european away games when we hit on the break as the both have pace and skill.