[FT] Livingston 0 - 1 Rangers (Kamara 4)

Well, it was the "beauty of the cup", even if ugly. Up and down the park, football hard to be found, yet we battled through. I reckon many of us forgot all those similar games of the past and will not really remember this one for long ... well, Aribo will.

Regarding Ojo ... he looks at time like Kent during his start and I still have that suspicion that if fit, we have to play him. Liverpool has that nasty loan-requirement that their players "cost" little, but you may have to pay penalties if they do not play (when fit) in a certain percentage of your games. As much as I enjoyed Kent's rise to fame after his at times dodgy start to the season, I also want to see the likes of Stewart and Murphy back on the park. How quickly can those "superstars" like Kent, Ojo or Barker fall to injury and we rather quickly end up with chaps who hardly get a dozen minutes per month. And with our luck, the games might be rather important then. Should those thrown in at the deep end then set a foot wrong, we will not hear the end of it ...

Yesterday was tailor-made for Stewart, Polster, King, Edmundson et al, yet we threw on our "stalwarts" and they were again, hardly impressive. At the end of the day, results is what matters for the club and we got that. Hearts and whoever may be in the final will not play Livingston-style, who reminded me of Wimbledon of old.

Edited by der Berliner

32 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Well, it was the "beauty of the cup", even if ugly. Up and down the park, football hard to be found, yet we battled through. I reckon many of us forgot all those similar games of the past and will not really remember this one for long ... well, Aribo will.

Regarding Ojo ... he looks at time like Kent during his start and I still have that suspicion that if fit, we have to play him. Liverpool has that nasty loan-requirement that their players "cost" little, but you may have to pay penalties if they do not play (when fit) in a certain percentage of your games. As much as I enjoyed Kent's rise to fame after his at times dodgy start to the season, I also want to see the likes of Stewart and Murphy back on the park. How quickly can those "superstars" like Kent, Ojo or Barker fall to injury and we rather quickly end up with chaps who hardly get a dozen minutes per month. And with our luck, the games might be rather important then. Should those thrown in at the deep end then set a foot wrong, we will not hear the end of it ...

Yesterday was tailor-made for Stewart, Polster, King, Edmundson et al, yet we threw on our "stalwarts" and they were again, hardly impressive. At the end of the day, results is what matters for the club and we got that. Hearts and whoever may be in the final will not play Livingston-style, who reminded me of Wimbledon of old.

I understand your point @der Berliner but I don't think we should be playing our 'lesser' players just so they get game time.  It is up to them to improve so that they deserve a place in the starting eleven.  I think last night showed the importance of us playing a strong team, and it was no game to try to get players match fit.

Murphy is a backup player and although I liked him, I hope he doesn't have to play because that means that we've lost our better players to suspensions or injury.  Ojo in my opinion is an important and dangerous player and I'd want him to play ahead of Murphy and Stewart regardless of terms in a loan agreement with Liverpool.

5 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I understand your point @der Berliner but I don't think we should be playing our 'lesser' players just so they get game time.  It is up to them to improve so that they deserve a place in the starting eleven.  I think last night showed the importance of us playing a strong team, and it was no game to try to get players match fit.

Murphy is a backup player and although I liked him, I hope he doesn't have to play because that means that we've lost our better players to suspensions or injury.  Ojo in my opinion is an important and dangerous player and I'd want him to play ahead of Murphy and Stewart regardless of terms in a loan agreement with Liverpool.

I don't disagree - however, we should be able to rotate 2 or 3 players into the starting XI without losing a great deal of quality.  At some point these players will NEED to be relied upon due to injury, suspension and/or lack of form.  I would rather they get integrated in patches before the business end of the season.

However, a tricky cup game against a strong, physical side like Livingston, on a terrible playing surface, may not be the time to do so.  And certainly not for someone like Murphy who suffered his horrendous injury on a similar surface at Rugby Park.

Last night Morelos was clearly exhausted at the end of the game (same with the Feyenoord match) so we're going to have to be careful with him if we want to avoid burning him out.  The physical work he does and the ground he covers means he must be knackered after games.

We have to find a way of rotating more players in whenever possible.  We only made two subs last night and, whilst I can understand why to an extent, there was no reason someone like Stewart or Defoe couldn't have came on for the final period at least.

8 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

I have just seen the elbow on Aribo. He looks at him, lifts his elbow, jumps and smacks him straight on! No action taken by the ref means there must be action from the CO!

Only if they play Celtic in the coming weeks. Otherwise you get plus points for injuring Rangers players