Fernando Ricksen - The Final Battle

2 hours ago, Bill said:

It was both compelling and horrendous to watch. I couldn't help thinking how many people were going through the same thing right now.

I've lost two healthy, fit and active cousins to this disease - being on the inside, it is absolutely brutal.  What Fernando went through I wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy.  It is THAT brutal of a disease.

Just watched that. It was tough viewing, and it never even covered the last 3 years of his life when he got even worse. God knows how he kept going. Maybe  he never really felt loved until he was in Scotland. There was another story to be told there I feel.

On 25/09/2019 at 17:06, craig said:

I've lost two healthy, fit and active cousins to this disease - being on the inside, it is absolutely brutal.  What Fernando went through I wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy.  It is THAT brutal of a disease.

Sorry to hear that. Is there any progress at all with this disease? Fernando lasted 6 years, Doddie Weir seems to be fighting it for the moment. It seems to affect a few sports people. Are there new treatments for this diagnosis on the horizon? Let’s hope so.

Seems Fernando falls into a 20% bracket containing people who survive between 5 and 10 years after diagnosis.

Most people with ALS die between two and four years after the diagnosis. Around half of people with ALS die within 30 months of their symptoms beginning, and about 20% of people with ALS live between five and 10 years after symptoms begin.

Guitarist Jason Becker has lived since 1989 with the disorder, while cosmologist Stephen Hawking lived for 55 more years following his diagnosis, but they are considered unusual cases. Becker is now the longest currently living person with ALS, holding the title since the death of Stephen Hawking in 2018.

We’re delighted to announce that our collection at Ibrox has raised a massive £23,110.32 - the biggest total raised through a bucket collection in our charity’s 38-year history. Thanks to the and the volunteers who made this possible.

CFLMXZLH?format=jpg&name=small

4 hours ago, BEARGER said:

We’re delighted to announce that our collection at Ibrox has raised a massive £23,110.32 - the biggest total raised through a bucket collection in our charity’s 38-year history. Thanks to the and the volunteers who made this possible.

CFLMXZLH?format=jpg&name=small

Well done 

Incidentally, I watched ‘the theory of everything’ about Stephen Hawking last night. Quite inspirational, and Eddie Redmayne’s portrayal of the scientist was well worthy of his Oscar. Felicity Jones was great as his wife as well. Well worth a watch!