RANGERS target Carlos Cuellar last night pleaded with Osasuna not to pull the plug on his summer transfer to Glasgow.

Record Sport revealed yesterday that the La Liga outfit have booted out a �£1million bid from the Ibrox club for the highly-rated 25-year-old and demanded the offer is almost trebled. And that has left Cuellar sweating over what he considers to be a dream move.

We understand the defender's representatives have all but agreed the terms of a lucrative pay deal at Ibrox and that manager Walter Smith sees the Spaniard as a key figure in his plans to win back the SPL title. But the deal now depends on chairman David Murray meeting Osasuna's demands for a fee of around �£2.7m.

And Cuellar - who has one last league game for his club against Atletico Madrid this weekend - would be crushed if a deal cannot be agreed.

Speaking exclusively to Record Sport last night Cuellar said: "I just hope I don't lose this chance because my mind is already in Glasgow.

"Osasuna know it is my wish to sign for Rangers but I do understand they will only let me go when they are happy with the price. That's their right.

Advertisement

"But I just hope everything gets sorted soon because I just want to get my suitcase packed and get started in Glasgow.

"I would love to play for Rangers and I have made that clear to Osasuna.

"There is a lot of passion in Scottish football and that's what I find so attractive. I know the Spanish players who have played there all love it especially the support they get from the fans.

"I also like the style of the football over there - full of passion and energy."

Meanwhile, Rangers boss Smith hopes to tie up USA cap DaMarcus Beasley before the end of this week.

As we revealed yesterday a fee of �£700,000 has been agreed with the player's current club PSV Eindhoven and Smith now hopes to meet Beasley within the next 24 hours to complete the deal.

Anyone remember him from our game, i think he played in the first leg but not the second. the first leg we could not break down there defence so there is a positive.

beasley was a good player but has faded away, lets hope he can get his career on track at Ibrox

• 4 weeks later...
Tonight's rumours from FF and a couple of the papers are that he will sign tomorrow after a deal has finally been sorted between the clubs.

I fucking hope so, mind you i can't remember him so i don't know if he's good or not,but if WS wants him then i trust he'll be a decent signing, IF WE DON'T LOOSE OUT AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thing with this is.. I've come across about 3 people on here who know how this guy plays, yet others are still condemning the club for not paying up when they have no idea if he's even worth £1m at all to begin with.

Not attacking anyone in particular, just saying that this deal has made the Club an easy target.

Walter must be getting pretty peed off with the low bids. Surely he must have been told what his budget was and then he identified his targets but the club cant match them.

I hope we get Cuellar, id rather put the Naismith money into this and then drop that interest and turn our attentions to a right sided player or an attacking midfielder.