4 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Since I have been using Cyberghost I am having problems with adverts!!, I have adblock running nut still getting adverts spoiling my viewing on this forum and FF

Can I ask, is the problem only on mobile devices?

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Can I ask, is the problem only on mobile devices?

No mate, I use my laptop, still have the adverts even though I am not using Cyberghost, must be a problem with my laptop, I have done what I can although I am fairly limited in my knowledge, I do have adblock and the problem has only happened since I downloaded vpn!!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Quick question on VPN folks. Excuse the question, its really beginner stuff - but hey-ho I can drive a fast car and have no idea how its made - IT is the same - can use the stuff but the software isnt my area.

When installing a VPN can you still run your current anti-virus? And is it required? Additionally should you still renew anti-virus with a VPN or has the latter have all covered?

Gribs yes you can still run Antivirus and highely recommend you do.

All a vpn does, to the untrained eye, is make you look like you are some where else.  It passes ownership and trust of your browsing history over from your internet service provider to whatever vpn service you trust, but for all other purposes you keep any security software or ad blockers etc you have now.

13 hours ago, blueflag said:

All a vpn does, to the untrained eye, is make you look like you are some where else.  It passes ownership and trust of your browsing history over from your internet service provider to whatever vpn service you trust, but for all other purposes you keep any security software or ad blockers etc you have now.

Thanks BF - thats actually a relief - I was going to do away with the antivirus.

Much appreciated. Im going for Nord VPN

• 3 weeks later...

CyberGhost's owners worry me. It depends whether you're really interested in anonymity / privacy (two different things), or just seeing games. NordVPN is a good mixture of the two. If you want something that's more pro those other things, I'd give you other suggestions.

On 21/05/2021 at 20:17, blueflag said:

However, one advantage it does have is that it makes it very difficult for malware or backdooring of your PC to actually make it back to the command and control of the virus writer. You should never stop running malware or anti-virus, but using a VPN (always, locked) means that the virus/malware/backdoor will find it very hard to get back to its command and control centre. Which means it's more secure, as well as the above being entirely true.

Edited by bmck

On 10/06/2021 at 20:13, bmck said:

However, one advantage it does have is that it makes it very difficult for malware or backdooring of your PC to actually make it back to the command and control of the virus writer. You should never stop running malware or anti-virus, but using a VPN (always, locked) means that the virus/malware/backdoor will find it very hard to get back to its command and control centre. Which means it's more secure, as well as the above being entirely true.

Thanks Barry  - good to see you posting - bizarrely I thought about about a week ago. Hope everything is well.

Im actually trying to remain thick on PC things as I dont want to rely on technology for so much. But obviously this was needed.