[FT] Rangers 5 - 0 Aberdeen (Tavernier 20 pen, 71 pen; Stewart 40; Morelos 50; Defoe 80)

I am not getting at Defoe but the unfair way of counting goals to minutes. I do however feel that Alfie offers far more on the total game structure than Defoe does. Nobody in this world can doubt Defoe's goalscoring record. We saw against Celtic how much we need Alfie to noiseup the defence though.

21 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Was there as usual and watched a "Masterclass" in tactics beautifully "Orchestrated" by Davis and "magnificently" carried out by rest of team.:party:

Honest I am not happy as ref was atrocious.?

I thought Madden had a good game - as refs go. 

Edited by weebluedevil

Stewart the next power Ranger?

Had things been different, Derek McInnes might have been in the Rangers dugout on Saturday. If he had, it would have been difficult to imagine Greg Stewart stamping the same authority on the 90 minutes. Over two loan spells McInnes had Stewart in his side and not once in 54 appearances did he come close to his performance in this 5-0 win.

His first league start returned a first goal and Stewart could have had more with a post struck and two shots curled wide. He also won the second penalty during the rout.

Steven Gerrard has got him fitter, made him wait for his chance and now has a different, exciting option who can link up with Alfredo Morelos - allowing the Colombian striker an almost free role which bamboozled the Aberdeen defence.

It is only one game but, if Stewart can keep this level up, he could turn into Rangers' surprise hero.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49866291

And we still have Kent to come into the picture.

I know it was just a twenty minute cameo; however, I was thinking Edmundson's interventions and tackle on Aberdeen's number 10 in the last five minutes was almost Sammer-esque. I liked the way the Aberdeen midfielder stayed tackle for fully five minutes.

Maybe a consideration for the role of front sweeper against Young Boys on Thursday? 

30 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

I know it was just a twenty minute cameo; however, I was thinking Edmundson's interventions and tackle on Aberdeen's number 10 in the last five minutes was almost Sammer-esque. I liked the way the Aberdeen midfielder stayed tackle for fully five minutes.

Maybe a consideration for the role of front sweeper against Young Boys on Thursday? 

I think it was the first time I had totally taken in his size. He's a hulk of a guy with a turn of speed and good distribution ability.

Was this our first shut-out of the season? We've had plenty of clean sheets but the opposition has usually spurned at least one good chance but I don't think The Sheep got a sniff of goal on Saturday.  Their best effort was late on and from 25 yards.  

On 29/09/2019 at 21:22, 26th of foot said:

'Front sweeper' - now, there's a new position. whatever happened to cattenaccio with a sweeper lying well behind 4 defenders? I do believe we have the players to play such a system if we find ourselves up against superior opposition.