Steven Gerrard - Most important goals

Regularly listed in world best 11's of the era. Gerrard could have played anywhere in Europe with the elite sides if he were a glory hunter like Ronaldo but stuck out his entire career at Liverpool during a relatively barren period for the team. A time when unlike previous eras the team wasn't littered with players the likes of Dalglish, Souness, Rush etc.

That's loyalty in the extreme amid the typical greed of elite players where more often than not nothing matters more than the pounds and it's one reason I love having him as our manager. He's not just seen this craving from a support to win titles he's lived it and I doubt we could have found anyone else of that calibre  with a more intimate understanding and motivation to achieve it.

I also see in his press conferences qualities i'm glad he has. In general he is amenable to the press and always dignified in his demeanor to the extent that mainstream media and beyond typically regard him as unusually honest for someone in his position. And regarding that honesty when I keep hearing him repeating that he intends to be at Rangers for years to come I believe him.

But that cordial demeanour can change ever so subtly but effectively when someone says something objectionable to him. He can close them down in seconds with just a sentence alongside a tiny change in his countenance and they know it's time to move shut up and move on.

I envisage him having that kind of commanding character in the dressing room when someone needs a rollicking and how can they even think of arguing with a man who has the vast experience at the very top level he does. We may have lucked out and got they very best man we could in the circumstances during the troubling recent period in the clubs history which is still ongoing in some areas.

And of course it can only help the clubs profile and attraction for sponsors that he's a footballing mega star. 

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

glory hunter like Ronaldo

I think thats harsh, Ronaldo will go down as one of the best players ever off his own back. People may not like him but he is a real superstar. He has possibly had two careers, one as a winger and one as a striker.

As for Gerrard, he makes my all time premier XI although De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero and Hazard are getting close to making a better side.

Schmiechel

Campbell Adams Terry

Ronaldo Gerrard Keane Vieira Giggs

Henry Bergkamp

14 minutes ago, Gribz said:

I think thats harsh, Ronaldo will go down as one of the best players ever off his own back. People may not like him but he is a real superstar.

Definitely wouldn't argue against his status as an all time great maybe even the greatest. But he is indisputably I would say the gold standard of glory hunting and obnoxious egomania in the entire professional era. He is constantly checking off every little box to squeeze every last stat he can out of it. And to top it off he has an ego that knows no bounds nor even a modicum of humility.

A major factor in his move to Juventus is a desire to win the CL with 3 different clubs which is currently the record and a desire to win it a 6th time in total which is also a current record. If he managed that this season he would then want to beat those records. This guy is obsessed with this minutiae of all stats to the point of being a character flaw and even detrimental to his team.

I remember one instance he declined to take the first penalty in a penalty shootout for either club or country I can't remember which and they went on to lose that shootout. In a situation like that you need your best stepping up and scoring to put pressure on the opposition. He on the other hand just wanted to watch what would happen then step in to take a decisive winning penalty to then circuit the stadium shirt off as if he had just won the game all alone.

And he's all that in comparison to our own humble and loyal Stevie G. who could have gone glory hunting on the continent possibly made a lot more money too but gave that up to play for his boyhood team.

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Definitely wouldn't argue against his status as an all time great maybe even the greatest. But he is indisputably I would say the gold standard of glory hunting and obnoxious egomania in the entire professional era. He is constantly checking off every little box to squeeze every last stat he can out of it. And to top it off he has an ego that knows no bounds nor even a modicum of humility.

A major factor in his move to Juventus is a desire to win the CL with 3 different clubs which is currently the record and a desire to win it a 6th time in total which is also a current record. If he managed that this season he would then want to beat those records. This guy is obsessed with this minutiae of all stats to the point of being a character flaw and even detrimental to his team.

I remember one instance he declined to take the first penalty in a penalty shootout for either club or country I can't remember which and they went on to lose that shootout. In a situation like that you need your best stepping up and scoring to put pressure on the opposition. He on the other hand just wanted to watch what would happen then step in to take a decisive winning penalty to then circuit the stadium shirt off as if he had just won the game all alone.

And he's all that in comparison to our own humble and loyal Stevie G. who could have gone glory hunting on the continent possibly made a lot more money too but gave that up to play for his boyhood team.

Yup agree but you are probably right that stature comes into play with his decision making. As for Juve - I think they are the Spurs of Europe, always the bridesmaid and I dont think Ronaldo will assist in that.

Actually still think the Real Ronaldo is up there with the best. Id have Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldo and Zidane as my top 5.

As for Gerrard, he still ruined my FA Cup in 2006, West Ham on the verge of winning it until his strike. Bloody Scoursers

15 hours ago, Gribz said:

I think thats harsh, Ronaldo will go down as one of the best players ever off his own back. People may not like him but he is a real superstar. He has possibly had two careers, one as a winger and one as a striker.

As for Gerrard, he makes my all time premier XI although De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero and Hazard are getting close to making a better side.

Schmiechel

Campbell Adams Terry

Ronaldo Gerrard Keane Vieira Giggs

Henry Bergkamp

Any EPL XI without Scholes is wrong, IMO.

14 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

That's just hogwash.  The major factor in his move to Juventus was Real Madrid.  It really is that simple.  They wanted to cash in on him.  He didn't want to leave and could have done so many times previously.  His move to Juventus was because they were willing to pay the 80 million transfer fee and they were a huge club.

Ronaldo isn't detrimental to any team he plays with.  Your supposition is clearly based on a dislike of him.  I am more of a Messi fan than Ronaldo, but nobody can take Ronaldo's record away from him - he is an incredible player.  He also has a work ethic that very, very few players possess.

Gerrard gave up any dreams of playing on the continent because he is a home person, Liverpool is his city, Liverpool is his club.  Some people will forego riches to stay close to home, that is what Gerrard did (not that he gave up a whole lot, certainly financially he doesn't have to worry) - lets not make him out to be some kind of martyr though.