Steven Gerrard - Most important goals

11 hours ago, Gribz said:

Yup agree but you are probably right that stature comes into play with his decision making. As for Juve - I think they are the Spurs of Europe, always the bridesmaid and I dont think Ronaldo will assist in that.

Actually still think the Real Ronaldo is up there with the best. Id have Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldo and Zidane as my top 5.

As for Gerrard, he still ruined my FA Cup in 2006, West Ham on the verge of winning it until his strike. Bloody Scoursers

The final they still call the "Gerrard final"

3 hours ago, craig said:

That's just hogwash.  The major factor in his move to Juventus was Real Madrid.  It really is that simple.  They wanted to cash in on him.  He didn't want to leave and could have done so many times previously.  His move to Juventus was because they were willing to pay the 80 million transfer fee and they were a huge club.

Ronaldo isn't detrimental to any team he plays with.  Your supposition is clearly based on a dislike of him.  I am more of a Messi fan than Ronaldo, but nobody can take Ronaldo's record away from him - he is an incredible player.  He also has a work ethic that very, very few players possess.

Gerrard gave up any dreams of playing on the continent because he is a home person, Liverpool is his city, Liverpool is his club.  Some people will forego riches to stay close to home, that is what Gerrard did (not that he gave up a whole lot, certainly financially he doesn't have to worry) - lets not make him out to be some kind of martyr though. 

I have taken nothing away from the undeniable talent of Ronaldo and in fact said he might be the best ever. But he is an egomaniac and in my view his egomania could on occasion be detrimental to his team.

And Gerrard wasn't depicted as anything like a martyr. Simply someone who had a loyalty to his boyhood club that saw him stay there basically his entire career when he could have moved to rack up more trophies. I don't count the brief US time as a part of his career worth talking about. To me he's a one club man. 

The closest comparison I can think of was Davie Cooper who could also have played abroad but was a guy you just couldn't get out of Hamilton for any amount of money or glory. Even when Davie did eventually move he went to Motherwell playing out his career just minutes from Hamilton.