Legends Game: [FT] Rangers 2 - 3 Liverpool

Patrik Berger reckons Steven Gerrard would snub an offer from Besiktas — because the Rangers job is an ideal stepping stone to the Liverpool hotseat.

Reports in Turkey claim the ailing Istanbul giants may move for the Gers boss if they sack under-fire coach Abdullah Avci.

But Berger, 45, believes Ibrox is the right place for his former Anfield team-mate — for now.

The Czech, who lined up alongside Gerro as Liverpool beat Rangers 3-2 in a ‘Legends’ match at Ibrox, said: “I think Steven is already in a massive job here.

“I don’t think going to Turkey would give him any extra edge or anything better. This is the right place for him. He wouldn’t go there.

“I don’t know for sure, but in my opinion he is working towards his goal to be Liverpool manager one day.

“But Rangers is still one of the biggest clubs in Europe, so it is fantastic as a learning curve for him.

“You can tell they love him here. Ever since he came in, he’s done a fantastic job.

“They know he is passionate about it and that he will do everything to get Rangers to where they belong.

“I see the progress he has made. Even last year they did really well and this year they are doing even better.

“It’s great for him and great for the fans.”

Berger added: “I didn’t like Steven in a blue shirt so much!

“In games like this we are all still so competitive and want to win. But it’s all about the club’s Foundations and charity and that’s great.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4829162/patrik-berger-steven-gerrard-rangers-besiktas-offer/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1570916075