[FT] BSC Young Boys 2 - 1 Rangers (Morelos 44)

12 hours ago, Frankie said:

I think the criticism is fair. He made two crucial errors in a game we were very comfortable in. 

Yes, we have to look at his overall contribution and that is usually good but, this season at least, he has been poor so people are right to question his form at the very least. 

Of course, it’s just that some of the comments are too far. He is a very good player who costs us goals occasionally. We aren’t going to get better than him with our budget, it’s as simple as that. 

Maybe against Hamilton we could move Tav from his defensive duties to midfield let him drive forward I've seen lots of defenders move into midfield and vice versa , it's only a thought by the way I had a handsome wager for a one all draw with the Buffalo as the first goalscorer,  win some lose some  .

Looking over more of the comments here, do people honestly think we can improve on Tavernier with our budget? This talk about replacing him, with who? A right back who will be brilliant going forward and flawless defensively? Why hasn't Gerrard thought of that before! Perspective has gone out the window.

His contribution to the team is overwhelmingly positive, and that includes his defensive contribution. He very occasionally costs us a goal and I would suggest he costs us fewer than all the other defenders. Every single one of them have cost us goals this season, yes even Katic. it's just that the goals Tavernier costs us tend to be high profile like the second goal last night and the pass at Parkhead. And by the way Morelos has had countless brain farts in front of goal in big games and small but escapes the scrutiny that is applied to Tavernier.

We are only a few days into October and he has already contributed 7 assists (leading the team again after contributing 20 last season), which is more than wonder boy Kent managed all of last season if you only include the real ones. He is certainly not on top form yet he is still racking up the assists and a big part of a defence who are conceding very few this season, equal to Celtic for the first time in a very long time by this stage of the season. I would be more inclined to replace Goldson with Katic than replace Tavernier with anyone.

Edited by DMAA

Did Gerrard make a mistake in not training on that surface the day before the game? There were times where we misplaced passes and got caught out as they seemed to glide past us with the extra confidence of being comfortable with the pitch.  And being very generous, Tav seemed to misjudge the bounce for their second goal.

15 hours ago, Frankie said:

Two dreadful goals to lose and what an opportunity missed to put ourselves in a great position in that group.

That team were no great shakes and I think we showed them too much respect.  In saying that they did nothing in the second half and we gave them two goals - both times from awful play from our skipper.

We've got a problem with Tav. I wonder if Polster would offer more defensively, yet how can you drop your captain?

7 hours ago, Gribz said:

IMO it could come down to partnerships. Playing two centre halves means they need such a good understanding of each other. I dont think we have had the time to 'trial' which two would eventually be the best two together despite having a lot of pre season friendlies as Edmundson and Helander came in late.

Our only chance is league cup and u-23 games but it would also be a risk in the event of any injury. So for me SG starts Goldson as experience every time and is rotating Katic and Helander. The latter may also need time to settle and adapt. 

FWIW Katic starts first every time for me.

A back 3 doesnt seem to enter SG philosophy but with Tav out of form at the moment it could have been an option.

Katic and Helander - right foot partnered with left - may turn out to be the best partnership, but how do you drop our vice-captain?

33 minutes ago, compo said:

Maybe against Hamilton we could move Tav from his defensive duties to midfield let him drive forward I've seen lots of defenders move into midfield and vice versa , it's only a thought by the way I had a handsome wager for a one all draw with the Buffalo as the first goalscorer,  win some lose some  .

3 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Katic and Helander - right foot partnered with left - may turn out to be the best partnership, but how do you drop our vice-captain?

We moved the late Fernando into midfield and it worked and a midfield three of Tav,Jack and Davies appeals to me as it would drop Kamara.

Re dropping Goldson maybe it would give him the kick up the backside he needs.

IMHO, and I reckon not many will echo that, our main target in Europe was achieved by reaching the Group stage and the set amount of financial gains that comes with it. Any point is a bonus, every win or draw will add to our stature - no doubt. Why that point of view? Because UEFA has messed up the European competitions and any level and decent competition goes out of the window, as all is geared for money ... and primarily money for the "big" nations like Germany, France, England, Spain and Italy, where mid-table teams enter the EL at later stages and 1-3 or 4 enter the "Champions" League at later stages too, while the "also-rans" have to qualify for the money-spinning stuff somewhere in midseason.

As probably any other Bear. I live by the motto Sir Walter gave a decade or so ago: "Rangers have never gone into any game with any other objective than winning it."

Yet, the reality in the here and now is that Europe is a fine bonus, but national silverware is more important. From that perspective, we did not only lose the game, but also Ryan Jack, who has been in the running for every MotM for months. Hopefully it ain't that bad.

As for the game, my biggest point of bother - as with quite a few games before - is the unwillingness to change things (WHAT a surprise was Stewart's inclusion last Sunday and what an impact he had!). MW still gets it into the neck with his Plan A sentence, yet time and again we go the very same route (and did so last season, BTW) and oftentimes FAIL to do Plan A better. Two names pop up here and essentially all about them has been said: Ojo and Tavernier. And here, right now, one has to say the bucket stops with SG.

Edited by der Berliner