Ross Wilson confirmed as new Sporting Director

Maybe just me, but i'm failing to muster any enthusiasm at all for this appointment.

In this stats driven football world that we live in, surely there has to be dof stats ,and that includes Mark Allen in that too, i'd like to know exactly which players he was responsible for signing.

Maybe i just need educated a bit more on the dof role.

What i do know ,is than neither our Captain, or our best player , were signed during his appointment.

9 hours ago, Franc Ergs said:

Maybe just me, but i'm failing to muster any enthusiasm at all for this appointment.

In this stats driven football world that we live in, surely there has to be dof stats ,and that includes Mark Allen in that too, i'd like to know exactly which players he was responsible for signing.

Maybe i just need educated a bit more on the dof role.

What i do know ,is than neither our Captain, or our best player , were signed during his appointment.

Yes, a DoF has to be judged on their recruitment, amongst other things. 

Allen has an average recruitment record. 

However, recruitment was not Allen's strength. 

Allen's signings: Docherty, Middleton, Murphy, Cummings, Martin; Arfield, McGregor, Katic, Goldson, Flanagan, Barasic, Lafferty, Grezda, McAuley, Kamara, Ejaria, Sadiq, Coulibaly, Kent, Worral, Defoe, Davis; Hastie, Jones, Stewart, Edmundson, Aribo, Helander, Barker. 

(I reckon there are a few more shockers that I've missed.)

What's that, 10-11 first-team players? And, a few good youth prospects. That's a whole new spine to the team. It's actually not bad at all -- although, the failures are really bad! 

Like I said, recruitment is not actually his strength. I believe Wilson is actually a better recruiter. 

There was a story the other day about the Lille DoF (Luis Campos, one of the best https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11830121/luis-campos-the-transfer-chief-with-the-midas-touch), where he suggested Man Utd were an example of a team in need of a DoF: no overarching strategy, or recruitment policy, causing them to make bad decision after bad decision. Mourinho wanted a DoF, because the culture wasn't right: it didn't have any cohesion. 

If you appoint a good manager, that can do everything, then you're in great hands. But, that's extremely rare. How many Alex Fergusons have there been? And, then why would you take the risk of ripping everything up when they leave after a couple of years? 

When Gerrard leaves, the structure in still in place, so a manager can slot right in with little disruption.  

In the modern game, a DoF is absolutely essential. 

• Frankie changed the title to Ross Wilson confirmed as new Sporting Director

Let's see what Ross produces. I'd imagine it would be premature to expect too much from him for this coming window in January, but come next summer it'll be interesting to observe the level of progress that the club has been able to achieve.

It'll also be interesting to note if recruitment centres on the Benelux nations going forward.