Ross Wilson confirmed as new Sporting Director

1 hour ago, rbr said:

He’s not very well thought of by the Saints fans , in fact they have been wanting rid of him for months going by their forums . 

Yeh when you look at their signings the past few seasons and consequent league performance you can see why. They paid circa £16m for that guy Celtic have taken on loan for example. I’ll choose to believe he’ll be a success at our level though. He has a wealth of experience and contacts and Ian up to speed with all the modern working methods used at the top level. 

22 hours ago, DMAA said:

Yeh when you look at their signings the past few seasons and consequent league performance you can see why. They paid circa £16m for that guy Celtic have taken on loan for example. I’ll choose to believe he’ll be a success at our level though. He has a wealth of experience and contacts and Ian up to speed with all the modern working methods used at the top level. 

I would actually argue his transfers have been pretty good -- although you could question the outlay, and an inability to replace core players, which has only been an issue recently, IMO -- whereas it's his managerial appointments that have been less than adequate. 

I liked, and still do like, Claude Puel, but I think he suffered from comparisons to Koeman and Pochetinno, which were outstanding appointments. I could see the reasoning behind Hughes, but it didn't work out -- it maybe should have been a short-term appointment, to avoid relegation, which he did, and then get someone else in. 

I do think Hasenhuttl was a very good appointment, though. 

Your last point is spot on, IMO: I think having someone to implement the latest working methods and technology, building on from the basic structure that Allen implemented is absolutely key. I'm drooling at the thought of our very own 'black box'... !!

18 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I would actually argue his transfers have been pretty good -- although you could question the outlay, and an inability to replace core players, which has only been an issue recently, IMO -- whereas it's his managerial appointments that have been less than adequate. 

I liked, and still do like, Claude Puel, but I think he suffered from comparisons to Koeman and Pochetinno, which were outstanding appointments. I could see the reasoning behind Hughes, but it didn't work out -- it maybe should have been a short-term appointment, to avoid relegation, which he did, and then get someone else in. 

I do think Hasenhuttl was a very good appointment, though. 

Your last point is spot on, IMO: I think having someone to implement the latest working methods and technology, building on from the basic structure that Allen implemented is absolutely key. I'm drooling at the thought of our very own 'black box'... !!

Thanks for that, I haven’t kept up at all with Southampton but I had a look on their forum and they were talking about £250m being wasted on poor signings on his watch, exaggeration no doubt. I still think he sounds like an excellent appointment and will have a far better chance of success in recruitment here. We don’t get overcharged the way EPL clubs do when dealing with European clubs. 

8 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I try to keep up with things but I missed the announcement of Allen's departure. Anyone know why he left? And wasn't Wilson on the radar prior to Allen?

Family reasons, and to pursue other options.

Wilson was approached prior to Allen's appointment, but turned us down saying it wasn't the right time. I think he wanted the system in place, rather than building it himself.

Allen was able and willing to build the structure.

7 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Family reasons, and to pursue other options.

Wilson was approached prior to Allen's appointment, but turned us down saying it wasn't the right time. I think he wanted the system in place, rather than building it himself.

Allen was able and willing to build the structure.

Funny if I was doing something like that I would prefer to do it from scratch.

13 hours ago, pete said:

Funny if I was doing something like that I would prefer to do it from scratch.

Yes, probably. 

I think Wilson's strength is recruitment, whereas Allen's was the business side of it.