[FT] Rangers 5 - 0 Hamilton (Defoe 8, 63, 71; Goldson 34; Barisic 61)

22 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Currently after 8 league games Rangers have scored 26 goals which is an average 3.25 goals per game. If that statistic continued throughout the season the end result is 123.5

Last season Rangers finished highest scorers in the league with 82 goals.

So good to go into this break top of the league and with 7 wins from 8 games.

A word of warning though, we have had 5 home games and 3 away and Celtic have had 3 home and 5 away. The league winner this season will be the team who manages to drop the least points away and/or the team who outperforms the other in Old Firm matches. Home games have been training matches for both sides but 2 of our 3 away games have been really tough games with 1 goal separating the sides.

Only 4 of our next 11 league games will be at home. The opposite for Celtic, only 4 away games in their next 11.  So we can not get carried away. We are only 2 points ahead so we need to prove we can avoid dropping points away from home. This is going to be a huge challenge considering we are going into a lot of those away games 3 days after European matches. We're going to Livingston after Porto at home, Tynecastle after Rotterdam, Motherwell at home after Porto away and Fir Park after Young Boys at home.

A massive test but one I'm cautiously optimistic about for a change. We have great depth in this team and I think we have every reason to hope that Celtic will drop some more points too. I've been particularly pleased to see Stewart get his chance, I was very surprised he wasn't getting a chance because he's the kind of player we've really been missing and our fans are finally seeing that now.

Edmundson is another one who was finally given his chance, I really really like him and for me he is your ideal centre back for home games because his possession play and distribution is far better than all the rest. Defoe I've spoken of before as our most underrated player, I still prefer him to Morelos (sorry). What an amazing player to be able to bring in to give Morelos a rest. And I think we can expect Morelos to perform better than last season now that we can rest him, not to mention the impact Defoe will be having on him. Could this even be contributing to his better discipline? Less pressure and stress knowing he's practically got the weekend off sometimes, he must be able to relax a lot more than when he was playing 90 every game and if he didn't score Rangers didn't score (very often).

Edited by DMAA

A delightful day all in all.

Delighted to see Big George get a start & look so commanding.

Delighted we clocked up another clean sheet - a real thing for me ?

Delighted for Defoe  & his incredible hatrick.

Delighted for Borna, another majestic performance capped of by yet another majestic free kick.

Delighted to be sitting top of the league.

Edited by D'Artagnan