[FT] Rangers 5 - 0 Hamilton (Defoe 8, 63, 71; Goldson 34; Barisic 61)

The one good thing the international break has is that some of our injured guys will probably be back, notably Kent and Jones. Jack, Aribo and Barker may also be ready, which will essentially gives us a full squad to pick from, something we haven`t had in years.

IMHO, Stewart really sparked our last couple of league games into action, probably in a way Arfield did last season. To think that we have them both on the pitch, plus Davis to pick the passes and two in-form strikers ... well well. I would assume that once Kent is back and firing on all cylinders, Ojo might not start every game, which is perhaps not too bad a thing. While he is involved in nigh any important scene, he seemingly drops out of the action for some spells and is at times lackadaisical with passes. Obviously, moaning at a high level, considering where we are.

What I would hope is that SG rotates and selects the squad according to the task at hand. There are games where I would rather see Jones, Stewart, King, Edmundson and Defoe, and others where Aribo, Ojo, Helander or Katic might be a first-er pick.

I'm beginning to suspect that we are committed to playing Ojo.  I hope not but it's looking a lot like the Zalalem situation.  Ojo may not be quite as useless as him  but it's still a situation that a club like Rangers should never be in.

3 hours ago, Briton said:

I'm beginning to suspect that we are committed to playing Ojo.  I hope not but it's looking a lot like the Zalalem situation.  Ojo may not be quite as useless as him  but it's still a situation that a club like Rangers should never be in.

I doubt it's a contractual requirement, however I definitely believe there will be pressure as there was with Ejaria and Kent. After all it's about maintaining the potential pipeline of future Liverpool loanees too. He's started every league game except St Mirren when he was injured. We've obviously had injury problems but I would prefer we played Arfield and Stewart more often tbh. Ojo has a role to play but it's clear to see he's struggling a bit, he looks every part the young academy player far too often.

22 hours ago, craig said:

Edmundson might be our best centre half.  What do you think @pete :ninja:

Haven't seen the game yet so I have no idea how good he is. I do hope he is the best by a country mile. Then we will have a cracker. One thing is for sure though Goldson or Helander are not in the race for best defender.:D

I can't remember when we had 4 centre backs as good as we do now all with different attributes and styles who will all play a massive part this season, yet some fans still need to slate the same player/s after a mistake or bad game. Can't we just enjoy what we have rather than find the negative in certain player/s!! 

4 hours ago, Briton said:

even when he gets a goal or assist I still can't see the point of him. He breaks down so much of our attacking play with awful decision making he just does more harm than good as far as i can see. 

he certainly works very hard in fairness works but when Kent comes back if Ojo is keeping Stewart out the team i won't be impressed on current form. 

6 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

even when he gets a goal or assist I still can't see the point of him. He breaks down so much of our attacking play with awful decision making he just does more harm than good as far as i can see. 

he certainly works very hard in fairness works but when Kent comes back if Ojo is keeping Stewart out the team i won't be impressed on current form. 

If Ojo had netted the ball just before HT against Young Boys then we would have had a much easier 2nd half. Coming out 2-0 up makes a massive difference.

Ojo gives us pace upfront which Stewart and Arfield don't have. We would be a lot easier to play against in Europe if we didn't play him and it would allow their full backs to press further up the park.

Ojo may not be brilliant, but the same comments were being made about Kent early last season. He needs confidence and the backing of the fans.

21 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Ojo gives us pace upfront which Stewart and Arfield don't have. We would be a lot easier to play against in Europe if we didn't play him and it would allow their full backs to press further up the park.

Ojo may not be brilliant, but the same comments were being made about Kent early last season. He needs confidence and the backing of the fans.

But Stewart also offers invention. More or less 2 games played by him recently, with one goal and two assists to his name. s I said, he would be a fine tool with Kent, Barker or Jones  (never mind Morelos and Defoe) running onto his passes and flicks ... which usually find the target. Perhaps comes with experience. That, and his good close control and willingness to shoot.

A good tool to have handy.

Liverpool demand not so much of a loan fee, but might come back at you for hard cash if you don't play their players often enough.

26 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Maybe play him in Europe then if that's what I'm missing. Kent though should be able to provide pace without bothering with ojo.