Turkey Syria and the Kurds

From were I am sitting it looks like one country Turkey has invaded another country Syria to wipe out the Kurdish fighters who were instrumental in ridding the region of ISIS just what's going on here. 

It's about time the Kurds had their own country. They have been victimised over the decades by each of the three countries bordering their un recognised regions, i.e. Iraq, Syria and Turkey. The UN should have redrew the map after the defeat of Saddam and the purging of ISIS from Syria and recognised a Kurdistan state in Northern Syria and North Eastern Iraq where they are most populous. Instead the UN will stand by while Turkey invades Syrian territory and destabilises the region again.  

15 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

It's about time the Kurds had their own country. They have been victimised over the decades by each of the three countries bordering their un recognised regions, i.e. Iraq, Syria and Turkey. The UN should have redrew the map after the defeat of Saddam and the purging of ISIS from Syria and recognised a Kurdistan state in Northern Syria and North Eastern Iraq where they are most populous. Instead the UN will stand by while Turkey invades Syrian territory and destabilises the region again.  

Agree 100% with this: the Kurds should have their own country  - they are one of the most persecuted races anywhere. And the UN will not condemn a NATO member. Britain could help though, by stopping the export of arms parts by British Ae to Turkey.

22 hours ago, compo said:

From were I am sitting it looks like one country Turkey has invaded another country Syria to wipe out the Kurdish fighters who were instrumental in ridding the region of ISIS just what's going on here. 

Imperialists will have no hesitation in using terrorists to suit their own ends then dropping them. 

20 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Yeah, I'm not sure if drawing arbitrary lines around areas in the middle East has been an unqualified success in the past.

Just now, ranger_syntax said:

Yeah, I'm not sure if drawing arbitrary lines around areas in the middle East has been an unqualified success in the past.

Agreed, but I think it's the only way that Kurdistan would be formed. The previous attempt in 1946 was a disaster in that it displaced the citizens that lived in that area and made them stateless. Hence over 70 years of unrest. 

2 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Agreed, but I think it's the only way that Kurdistan would be formed. The previous attempt in 1946 was a disaster in that it displaced the citizens that lived in that area and made them stateless. Hence over 70 years of unrest. 

Draw a line around 'kurdistan' and you will have another 70 years of unrest at the very least.

I honestly don't know where these silly ideas come from.  If it is going to happen then the United Nations, and the United Kingdom, would be well advised to stay out of it.

2 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Draw a line around 'kurdistan' and you will have another 70 years of unrest at the very least.

I honestly don't know where these silly ideas come from.  If it is going to happen then the United Nations, and the United Kingdom, would be well advised to stay out of it.

I'm not sure you would. Unlike Palestine, these areas are 90% Kurd and have been for centuries.  The area has no religious importance like Jerusalem and neither Syria or Iraq can afford to control the areas.  

7 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

I'm not sure you would. Unlike Palestine, these areas are 90% Kurd and have been for centuries.  The area has no religious importance like Jerusalem and neither Syria or Iraq can afford to control the areas.  

Titter.