BBC on Gordon Neely

We all know at one of the Glasgow football clubs there was a paedophile problem which went on for decades. It wasn’t Rangers.

Maybe Daly should concentrate his efforts over the East End. Plenty more there I’d have thought. Maybe even more than we already know 

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

The whole issue of abuse in Scottish football over the last 50 years should be subject to a full public enquiry, forcing all on record, including the figures & authorities involved. Such historic investigations are tricky but justice - no matter the club - should be our priority.

I do have sympathy with Rangers in this case and also wonder about the sensationalist nature of the reporting but if there is any uncertainty at all, then we should welcome any enquiry and, indeed, be at the forefront of it.

It's a rehash of an old article with no substance and can't be proved, speculation is all it is. I hope Souness, Walter Smith and Rangers take legal advice on this!.

Just now, ian1964 said:

It's a rehash of an old article with no substance and can't be proved, speculation is all it is. I hope Souness, Walter Smith and Rangers take legal advice on this!.

Of course it is but if there's any doubt at all, I'd much prefer Rangers led the way in terms of being open and being prepared to re-examine what happened.

Yes, dealing with historic stuff such as this is tricky and it's doubtful neither Rangers or the police hold any meaningful records on what seems to have been a one-off incident that wasn't dealt with perfectly on anyone's part but that doesn't mean we can absolve ourselves of any responsibility either.

I hold Souness and Smith in the utmost regard but that also needn't mean we can't revisit the issue on the record to avoid future issues.  Like I say, we should lead the way on matters such as this.

13 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Of course it is but if there's any doubt at all, I'd much prefer Rangers led the way in terms of being open and being prepared to re-examine what happened.

Yes, dealing with historic stuff such as this is tricky and it's doubtful neither Rangers or the police hold any meaningful records on what seems to have been a one-off incident that wasn't dealt with perfectly on anyone's part but that doesn't mean we can absolve ourselves of any responsibility either.

I hold Souness and Smith in the utmost regard but that also needn't mean we can't revisit the issue on the record to avoid future issues.  Like I say, we should lead the way on matters such as this.

Absolutely mate, if there is anything in it then I want it out and fixed as best can be, an full independent enquiry is what is needed but is being blocked by everyone from SFA to Scottish government, wonder why??.

I am not admonishing Rangers but at that time the police ran away from sexual orientated crime. Until not so long ago it was thought rape can't be proved and the rapist was believed before the victim. A lot of times the police didn't even bother noting or investigating it.

I dont know how long this man worked for the club but there is one thing I hate in life and its child  molesters now we can lead the way by stating that we are willing to give up any trophies won when this person was in our employment,  let's see if others follow  .

42 minutes ago, compo said:

I dont know how long this man worked for the club but there is one thing I hate in life and its child  molesters now we can lead the way by stating that we are willing to give up any trophies won when this person was in our employment,  let's see if others follow  .

Wow, that's a bit drastic but I agree about us leading the way. Let's not make this a them v us issue though; the BBC must have covered up the Savile affair for example, so these evil monsters worm their way into every institution.

7 hours ago, barca72 said:

What you would have done as a parent has nothing to do with Rangers' situation.
Other than fire Neely and report him to the police, what more could Rangers do?
They couldn't come out publicly and accuse Neely of paedo actions, no charges were laid.
How can we have confidence in Police records when both they and the CPS lose evidence before it gets to court, as in the hanging dolls at Parkhead?
These are all allegations by Daly and it sounds more like Hollicom-assisted guff.
If Rangers did something wrong then they should be punished, as should Hibs who never even reported Neely to anyone.

You have gone off at a tangent here. I’m in no way questioning Rangers statement or motive. I just wonder why the boys parents did not pursue the matter with the police.